SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-03-09, 01:04 AM   #1
missyburd

Default Odd moose collision

I can't for the life of me fathom out how this happened, can anyone enlighten me? There's not a lot of information given about the situation but the woman involved has come out relatively unscathed and yet this moose has landed headfirst through her back window?

WARNING: these images might offend, but they're not that bad. You will probably (well I should hope you do) feel sorry for the animal though, poor thing.

WARNING FOR DizzyBlonde: do not go riding in Canada, you mightn't be so lucky colliding with one of these critters!

http://www.zenwaiter.com/moosephoto.htm

Last edited by missyburd; 15-03-09 at 01:35 AM.
Old 15-03-09, 01:29 AM   #2
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: Odd moose collision

Well, the first lot of photos........ACCIDENT.....whatever? How stuipd are these people. Yes, Moose can be aggressive at certain times of the year, but they don't attack like that.

I would say that to go through the back of the car, the Moose could have been running from something and just run into the back of the car. It could have jumped over something and landed in the back of the car. About three years ago I had a deer hit the roof of my car up near Bath as it jumped over a hedge I was on the other side of. Scared the living daylights out of me and with the damage to the roof, if I had been a foot further on or the deer had jumped a split second later, it would have gone through the rear window and I have no doubt of that.

That poor woman......I bet she had to be treated for shock as well.

Last edited by gruntygiggles; 15-03-09 at 01:29 AM. Reason: sp
gruntygiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-09, 01:37 AM   #3
rowdy

Looks to me by the state of the steering wheel that it's been hit from the front and gone right through to the back of the car, certainly looks the case in the second incident pictured.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-09, 01:48 AM   #4
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Looks to me by the state of the steering wheel that it's been hit from the front and gone right through to the back of the car, certainly looks the case in the second incident pictured.
Yep.......absolutely....I hadn't even noticed the windscreen being totally absent! Need to drink less beer and pay more attention!
Old 15-03-09, 07:53 AM   #5
keith_d
Mega Poster

I suspect the crash went something like:

1) Front of the car strikes the moose at knee height and engine passes under moose as it topples forward.
2) Antlers strike the passenger side, ripping off roof and shattering windows. Broken neck kills moose.

3) Dead moose lands head first on the back of the car

4) Woman driver notices that it's cold and looks round to see if she left the back window is open. Finds dead moose on the back seat. Phones husband....
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-09, 08:08 AM   #6
keith_d
Mega Poster

5) Husband suspects biker mates of moose head prank and tells wife to chuck it out of the car when she stops for gas.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-09, 08:30 AM   #7
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

erm, it tells you how it happened on that page

woman drives into moose, moose hits screen/roof and flips over onto lid of boot, head then falls into back seat

either that or the moose was going like a bat out of hell when he hit her...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-09, 10:47 AM   #8
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
erm, it tells you how it happened on that page

woman drives into moose, moose hits screen/roof and flips over onto lid of boot, head then falls into back seat

either that or the moose was going like a bat out of hell when he hit her...
It doesn't make it clear though! She must have been going at some speed to make an animal that size and weight do a somersault in the air and rip a roof off. I just find that hard to believe but I suppose there is no other explanation. If the antlers caught the roof then I guess it could happen...
Old 15-03-09, 11:10 AM   #9
Graciepants

i like mooses how do you not see one that big
Old 15-03-09, 11:11 AM   #10
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciepants View Post
i like mooses how do you not see one that big
Especially in the middle of the day I could understand it if the moose had come at the car from the side but the front? And then flipped over? Craziness...

#waits for the obligatory words "women" and "drivers"...#