SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-05, 09:29 PM   #1
Ginghouse69

Default R and G crash protectors

Hi, i've been a member of this forum for about a year now, using the content mainly for reference. I finally got a SV650S K4 in july last year, I've just finished putting the blue flame can on and started to fit the undertray.

I am also interested in putting some R and G crash protectors on but don't see the point in spending 70-80 quid when i can make them at work, so i'm just wondeing if anyones got any close up pictures of them or can take some pictures of them with a ruler next to them or give me the dimensions!

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 31-01-05, 12:25 AM   #2
Warren

well the Rand G's are supposed to be the best in the market.
you can buy cheaper ones for as low as a tenner.

i got RnG's fitted but havent tested them out - and hope i wont need to.

the best thing to do is get em second hand.
i paid 30 quid for mine.
Old 31-01-05, 08:37 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
No.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-05, 08:43 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:
No.
I had a whinge about my woes with my R&Gs at the show yesterday, highlighing the shortcomings of thier product for the SV. PUt my point across fairly well i thought, then the boss man came along Retold my tales of woe. He said that they where looking at redesigning the SV bungs, so if youa re buying some, wait a while.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-05, 09:09 AM   #5
sexysi

He says wait a while Yep wait until the roads are nice and dry, when you won't drop it then get some. Always have had R&G's and they have done their job fine. Last accident I had they took the brunt of the slide fine and I only had a small graze on the lowers. So worth there weight in gold, so I think they are well worth it.
sexysi
Old 31-01-05, 12:15 PM   #6
sv182

R&G's are worth every penny!! my mate lost the front on his bike over the weekend. the extent of the damage, snapped clutch lever and a little bruise on his pride! what makes them so good is the nylon the bit that actually does the work. it digs in to the ground to stop the bike from sliding for a long time and therefore cause more damage. lesser crash protecters only deal with the initial impact. R&G's ARE the way to go!!
Old 31-01-05, 12:59 PM   #7
BaggaZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Quote:
No.
I had a whinge about my woes with my R&Gs at the show yesterday, highlighing the shortcomings of thier product for the SV. PUt my point across fairly well i thought, then the boss man came along Retold my tales of woe. He said that they where looking at redesigning the SV bungs, so if youa re buying some, wait a while.
What were these woes & shortcomings? I thought they're meant to be great?
Old 31-01-05, 01:10 PM   #8
PoRk ChOp

They saved my bike last week, a broken gear lever was the worst of the damage. They are not cheap by any means, but compared to the cost of your bike..... a worth while investment.
Old 31-01-05, 01:46 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggaZee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Quote:
No.
What were these woes & shortcomings? I thought they're meant to be great?
Hmmm. My main issue is at low speed offs the load is very high on the nylow part of the bung. The bung itself is quite long and the cup that it screws into is less than half the nylon length. So being of a high load, and the laws of physics etc etc, the nylon block has either come out of the cup or snapped off completely. Dont get me wrong, they have saved the frame, which is what i would expect them to, but would have thought they would have done a little more.

No bung is ever going to stop pannel damage in the event of a slide/off etc. I have had 4 offs with the bungs, so pretty clued up as to thier performance.

Other friends of mine have R&G's on thier bikes, and they have all done what they should, so still would have no issues with recomedning them as a good product, just think that the SV ones need a slight design change which they are doing.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-05, 02:04 PM   #10
mac608

Ginghouse69, I live in Heaton Mersey. If you want to come up one night with your tape measure & camera thats OK with me.
mac608 is offline   Reply With Quote