SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-03-07, 01:42 PM   #1
riktherider

Default Anyone tried these crash protectors??

came across these woodcraft cras protectors while flicking through demon tweeks catalogue. they look pretty nice. ive had r&g's before, but what annoys me is that you cant seem to buy just the bungs, after you crash, you have to buy the whole lot.
http://www.demontweeks.co.uk/product...ode=AFA50-0140
you can also buy just the sliders if you do have an off, for a nice sum of 12.47

look worth it compared to £65 for R&G's everytime you ahve an off
Old 20-03-07, 01:57 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone tried these crash protectors??

Phone R&G and they will sell you any part you want.

Got a replacement left side bung and the nut for about £25.

Their number is on their website

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-07, 02:36 PM   #3
riktherider

hmm, i got told you couldnt. ah thanks. well 12.50 is still cheaper for both sides. and plus i think these look a bit better, but if they dont work its wolf in sheeps clothing!!
Old 20-03-07, 03:35 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Woodcraft make good stuff, but I think these bolt into the front engine mounts rather than the central one. That's a neater solution but it means the bolts have to be far longer to make the bungs the same length as ones that go through the middle bolt, and so less strong. Also, since it bolts into a thread in the engine instead of replacing an engine bolt, there's the potential to damage the engine (though not badly, really)

Could be wrong though

If you want good quality and cheap, speak to Nate at Motosliders, I probably soudn like I'm on commission but they're cheap and brilliant, and cheap to replace bits for too. I got a set of bungs and a pair of replacements for lses than a set of R&Gs alone, and the postage from America was less than R&G's p*ss-taking UK postage They're similiar to the old R&Gs, except without the random failures. Very good product, maybe the best out there now that JHS doesn't sell his own ones, and cheaper than anything that comes close.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-07, 03:53 PM   #5
zedleppelin1981

The look and comments I got from the R&G staff at the London bike show in Feb when I said I had Motosliders fitted!! Bought a can protector and they were pushing me down the crash bung route as well.

I bought the Motosliders on recommendation here, in particular from Northwind (he really knows his stuff ).

A front & rear set, plus shipping from the USA worked out cheaper than just a front set from R&G. HOPEFULLY they will remain untested (a stationary drop does not count )
Old 21-03-07, 05:37 PM   #6
rpwoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedleppelin1981 View Post
I bought the Motosliders on recommendation here, in particular from Northwind (he really knows his stuff ).
Are you implying he crashes a lot?
Old 21-03-07, 06:50 PM   #7
riktherider

yea ive looked on motosliders website and they look pretty good. like the swing arm protecters as well. they wide enough to protct the rear bodywork?? could do with some fork protectors as well....protection all round!!!
Old 02-04-07, 01:08 AM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpwoodman View Post
Are you implying he crashes a lot?
Used to but I got bored of it, so I'm trying something else now.

riktherider, the swingarm bungs don't really stick out that far- they're great for paddock stands, and they do protect the swingarm a little, but it's the main bungs that protect the rear fairing. All the good bungs will, to some extent, the bike tends to rest on the wheels and the bung in a simple drop. Maybe a handlebar and the exhaust depending on how it lands Not perfect protection of course, but then you can't really expect that without Mokus's crash cage

Old 02-04-07, 01:43 AM   #9
gettin2dizzy

i bought the motosliders, and being longer than any other bung (i've read reports of it saving people legs even!) i still think they were expensive. cost me about £90 for both the swingarm and main protectors. i haven't (luckily) had chance to test them though.
point of this post? (i'm wondering it myself) but although the motosliders aren't that cheap, they've got an excellent following without a single complaint unlike r&g, and any 'cheap' bung is worthless. They're worth it
Old 02-04-07, 12:30 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

How did you manage to pay that much? They're $95 for bungs plus swingarm sliders, plus delivery, which is $26. About £60... Though if you get stung for tax that'll add on, obviously. Just curious here, I'm always recommending them so if the prices have shifted I'd like to know, sos I don't give out duff info.

The bungs alone are $67 btw... because the swingarm sliders have a machined metal part as well as the nylon, they're very expensive to make compared to, say, R&G whose bungs are just a nylon block (might have a wee spacer in, can't remember or Motrax, who're all metal. Still reasonably priced though. They also stick out way further than most, which is good news really.