SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-03-17, 03:28 PM   #51
Taipan

Default Re: My first pointy

Didn't need the wires as they did fit on okay - just! Chekced the TPS again and it was cutting in just on 1500rpm, so left it as is. Went out for a run and the bike seems fine now. Throttle roll on is nice and smooth now. I'll use it to commut eon for teh next ewf days if its not going to be raining and see how it is...
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-17, 05:19 PM   #52
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Didn't need the wires as they did fit on okay - just! Chekced the TPS again and it was cutting in just on 1500rpm, so left it as is. Went out for a run and the bike seems fine now. Throttle roll on is nice and smooth now. I'll use it to commut eon for teh next ewf days if its not going to be raining and see how it is...
Nice one.It will be good to get some feedback on the plug caps etc
Old 29-03-17, 08:41 AM   #53
Taipan

Not used it yet as I've needed my scoo to cary stuff around, but I did manage to order some racetech front springs for it and hopefully get them fitted at the weekend! The front end is just too undersprung for me as i'm a lump, lol!
Old 29-03-17, 08:46 AM   #54
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
Not used it yet as I've needed my scoo to cary stuff around, but I did manage to order some racetech front springs for it and hopefully get them fitted at the weekend! The front end is just too undersprung for me as i'm a lump, lol!
The old CX500s were bouncy.They used crappy ATF oil in them.Cured by using 20w Fork oil.Some guys even just used 20w50 engine oil in them
Old 30-03-17, 08:07 PM   #55
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
The old CX500s were bouncy.They used crappy ATF oil in them.Cured by using 20w Fork oil.Some guys even just used 20w50 engine oil in them
I can't remember what grade I used when I changed mine, but I did use some air fork caps, they helped too. Plus Koni rear shocks, mine handled well for a bike of its size
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-17, 10:46 PM   #56
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
I can't remember what grade I used when I changed mine, but I did use some air fork caps, they helped too. Plus Koni rear shocks, mine handled well for a bike of its size
Never had a problem with the front end once I used heavy fork oil and rear end stock shocks set hard less one.The CX500 frame always reminds me of my old Norton,"Featherbed Wide-line" frame.I can lean the big heavy grunts like riding on train lines and never skip with the right tyres.

One of them had some continentals on it.Total rubbish.Weren't secure on dry,near lethal on wet and same with Avons.Went to some Dunlops,they were better but the best,and will use again and maybe even on my SV,were cheap,"Maxxis".

I don't care how long a tyre lasts.I want grip.

AFAIC a tyre sacrifices it's life so I don't sacrifice mine
Old 31-03-17, 12:47 PM   #57
Taipan

Well after a using it for commuting into London it seems to have settled itself down nicely. It had a perished blanking plug on the front TB and an open hole on the rear TB with no plug at all! So having sorted that out and got a half decent balance on the TBs and reset the TPS and fitted new plugs and plug caps, it seems to run fine now. Not sure the plug caps were needed but the plugs were. Pick up and throttle roll ons are so much smoother now.

So the list of jobs to do is fit the footrest lowering plates. Sort out some sort of bracket for the floppy speedo assembly and hopefully incorporate the Harley headlight into it too, or just fit the new round, standard size headlight and ditch the current twin headlight set up. Id like some slightly higher bars too but wil probably need longer throttle cables to do that? Not getting much time at weekends though, but hopefully as the lighter nights roll in, i'll get some more time for it. In the mean time i'll just (hopefully) enjoy riding it.

Last edited by Taipan; 31-03-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-04-17, 08:38 AM   #58
Taipan

Did a mpg check and whilst it's gone from 37 to 41 that is still very disapppointing and makes me think it's still running rich. Maybe it'll adjust/settle down over the next couple of tank fills? My curvys used to average 55, do Fi pointys just guzzle more fuel? Or is this a sign that something still isn't right?
Old 01-04-17, 10:06 AM   #59
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

This should give you an idea,

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/sv650

some will be in US mpg tho'.

HTH
Old 03-04-17, 11:10 AM   #60
Taipan

I'm waiting on a db killer/baffle for the open exhaust and will fit that and then put some miles on it and see what it settles down to. I'm not worried about it being economical, more looking at the low MPG as an indicator that something still isn't quite right, if you see what I mean?