SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-03-06, 04:06 PM   #1
GSXR Carlos

Default Chain and Sprockets

Since we've been talking about chain and sprockets so much i was having a chat with a mate, he sggested going down a tooth on the front if i was going 2/3 up on the rear, any reason why i can't do this?

will i be ok with a 108 link chain instead of having to get a 110 for the bigger rear sprocket?
Old 30-03-06, 04:10 PM   #2
socommk23

no reason you cant do this!
will make the front v light on accelerating into the blue yonder! fun fun fun! lol
but would recomend larger chain! this will allow for any exess length you might need...if it too long just shorten it rather than buying one too short from the off! sorry i cant tell you the right length of chain for this.
trial and error! less of the error!
Old 30-03-06, 04:28 PM   #3
GSXR Carlos

how do you shorten a chain?
Old 30-03-06, 04:32 PM   #4
Stormspiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl PO51 MYV
how do you shorten a chain?
Angle grinder

Take the "dome" of the last link you want removing and use a punch and hammer to nock it out. use a vice and some old rag to stop the chain twisting when you knock the pin out.

S'all i used to do with trials Renthal chains
Old 30-03-06, 04:33 PM   #5
socommk23

yup!
thats what i have done...nice and easy!
Old 30-03-06, 04:37 PM   #6
GSXR Carlos

oh if its that easy then

standard svs chain is 108 naked sv chain is 110, that's what i was refering to

if i was doing larger rear sprocket then i'd get the 110 chain, but if i'm going smaller front then i can stick with a 108 chain can't i???

i want me wheel to go skywards
Old 30-03-06, 04:43 PM   #7
jonboy

Default Re: Chain and Sprockets

Quote:
Since we've been talking about chain and sprockets so much i was having a chat with a mate, he sggested going down a tooth on the front if i was going 2/3 up on the rear, any reason why i can't do this?
No, it's just that the diameter of the sprocket will be smaller therefore making the links tighten more when they go around it and this will likely cause more wear leading to a slightly shorter chain and sprocket life, though probably not by that much if it's correctly lubed.

Quote:
will i be ok with a 108 link chain instead of having to get a 110 for the bigger rear sprocket?
Yes, if you're making the front sprocket smaller why buy a longer chain?

By going down one at the front it's the approximate equivalent of going up three at the rear, so expect a big difference in acceleration off the line, and a very light front wheel .

Old 30-03-06, 04:47 PM   #8
socommk23

Default Re: Chain and Sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
No, it's just that the diameter of the sprocket will be smaller therefore making the links tighten more when they go around it and this will likely cause more wear leading to a slightly shorter chain and sprocket life, though probably not by that much if it's correctly lubed.

Quote:
Yes, if you're making the front sprocket smaller why buy a longer chain?

By going down one at the front it's the approximate equivalent of going up three at the rear, so expect a big difference in acceleration off the line, and a very light front wheel .

you are making the front smaller! but the back bigger! i think you would be safer getting the longer chain! cant be that much difference in price for piece of mind bout it fitting!
Old 30-03-06, 04:50 PM   #9
GSXR Carlos

no only the front smaller
Old 30-03-06, 04:59 PM   #10
jonboy

Therefore stick with a 108 chain IMO .