SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 03-03-08, 11:12 PM   #1
tomjones2

Default A few question about starting racing

As far as I can see I want to start racing but its going to be later on in the season, realistically just a few weekends. I looked around but seem to be getting diffrent answers, dead ends and deads phone lines.

Do you have to pay any sort of season entry fee or is it just race by race?

How much does race entry cost?

Where can I get wets in london, which ones and for how much?

Where can I get a acu licence from at this time of year, how much?

At the moment I have a bike, van, tools, warmers, kit and a genny. Is there anything huge I am missing.
Old 03-03-08, 11:25 PM   #2
Sideshow#36

Default Re: A few question about starting racing

If you decide to go with BEMSEE (minitwins) there is no up front fee for all of the seasons entries. You simply pay about 2-3 weeks before the race weekend.

The fees vary, I.E. this year the most expensive is Brands Hatch GP £275 and the cheapest is Croix en Ternois which is £165. However you have the cost of getting over there!! These fees only get you into 4 races and a qualifying session. If you wish to do a practice session on the Friday before a race weekend that will set you back about another £100.

Your best bet for wets is actually at the track, there are always a couple of guys there who have wets and will fit them there for you.

You will have to go up to ACU house in Rugby to get your licence. However before you do this you need to be a member of an ACU affiliated club, such as BEMSEE. They need to sign off a section of it. Also before you can race you will usualy have to do a school such as Ron Haslam or California SBS.

As for the setup it varies from rider to rider. My mate raced in the ACU GSXR Trophy last year and just slept in his van and ran at minimum cost. But we have a similarsetup to you but we bought a caravan on friday just for that bit of added extra comfort. Go along to a couple of race meets and have a walk around the paddock and get a feel for how it all works. Thats all we did.... I'll find out if it all works on Friday.
Old 03-03-08, 11:55 PM   #3
metalmonkey

Just add I have been looking intot getting my licence the cost I got are as follows;

Race School £380
Licence Test £50
Licence its self £43
Bemsee membership £30

I have a bike, need to get a van and sort paddock gear.
Old 04-03-08, 07:36 AM   #4
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Just out of curiosity - the race school you need to attend... Is that a specific course for the ACU licence or does one of the school's own courses count i.e level 1 Cali SBK school etc.?

Thanks
Luke
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 10:12 AM   #5
tranx

It's not a specific ACU course and it's only BMCRC that require you to do a race school before competing. Other clubs will sign your ACU license without the race school day.
Old 04-03-08, 10:46 PM   #6
tomjones2

Many thanks for all the relpies guys