SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-11-18, 09:26 PM   #31
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Trouble removing the exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
T...I'd be interested in whether you find the suspension linkage bearings still have any grease in them too.

They seem to have much less than the main swingarm bearings. What there is left is fairly dried out and sticky too. Causing it to be really stiff pivoting. From the difference between them I'd say that the suspension linkage needs servicing much more often than the swingarm. A much easier job to do thankfully too!

I'm managing to clean a lot of dried up grease residue off the linkage bolts and bushings and it's feeling much smoother already. I think I got to the bearings just before the grease stopped protecting them as they seem really good. With new grease packed in and eveything cleaned up I'm hoping things feel a bit smoother!

I'd definitely recommend servicing the linkage at regular intervals now I've seen it.

See below pic for sticky dried up grease bolt compared to cleaned one...

Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 10:02 PM   #32
Ruffy

I'm feeling a little guilty because I think it was my post on your earlier thread that sent you down this route. I hadn't intended a full swingarm removal, just the linkage strip and clean that, as you have found, is not complicated on its own but is usually very necessary. Sorry for any extra aggro you may have suffered by removing the swingarm but you will now have some valuable peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
At this stage I have to decide if I want to get a relacement shock in there while it's all apart! Can no way afford it right now but seems crazy to put it all back together to be having the same wooden riding feeling.
I would put it all back together and ride it first to see if the problems are still as severe. It's not difficult to undo the linkages again to change a shock - no need to touch swingarm pivot for that. Since you've found some stiffness in the linkages, you may find the outcome is better than expected and the shock replacement can wait. Important if you genuinely can't afford it: Hobbies will always take at least as much money as you throw at them - beware!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
They seem to have much less than the main swingarm bearings. What there is left is fairly dried out and sticky too. Causing it to be really stiff pivoting. From the difference between them I'd say that the suspension linkage needs servicing much more often than the swingarm. A much easier job to do thankfully too!

I'm managing to clean a lot of dried up grease residue off the linkage bolts and bushings and it's feeling much smoother already. I think I got to the bearings just before the grease stopped protecting them as they seem really good. With new grease packed in and eveything cleaned up I'm hoping things feel a bit smoother!

I'd definitely recommend servicing the linkage at regular intervals now I've seen it.

See below pic for sticky dried up grease bolt compared to cleaned one...

The outer surface of the metal bush you have laid out in the photo looks good - clean and no corrosion except at the edges where it's exposed. It's that bush outer that matters more than the bolts - it rides on the needle rollers that are inside the linkage. Clean all three bushes/bearings thoroughly and re-pack with fresh bearing grease and you should feel an improvement - smooth and without jerkiness.

Good work and top result by the way.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 10:08 PM   #33
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
I'm feeling a little guilty because I think it was my post on your earlier thread that sent you down this route. I hadn't intended a full swingarm removal, just the linkage strip and clean that..

Don't worry! I'm glad I've done it. If I'd left it another year (or more) it might have been a real pain of a job. At least in the current condition it's all coming apart nicely. I'd rather do preventative work on all the bearings and keep them in good condition than be trying to bash out bits of worn out bearings in a year or two. Learning a lot too.

It all needs a clean anyway, including the outside of the swingarm under the sprocket that has a few years of accumulated chain gunge growing on it.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-18, 06:57 AM   #34
Craig380
Mega Poster

Thanks for the pic! They still look decent despite having knocked about under a bike for a decade
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote