SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-01-08, 06:25 PM   #1
gazman

Default Rusty chain?

Have I knackered my chain??

Basically, the other day I thought I'd give my chain some TLC, I spent an hour cleaning it with parafin & a tooth brush. After that, I dabbed the excess parafin of with a rag & waited a while to let any leftover parafin evaporate.
I then applied some Wurth dry chain lube, took the bike out for a blast (It wasn't raining, but the roads were wet) when I got back, reappplied some Wurth dry chain lube & put the bike in the garage, a week later I check my bike over to find my chain like this:

Is it knackered, or will a wire brush sort it out?

Cheers, Gaz
Old 08-01-08, 06:32 PM   #2
GeeMac

Default Re: Rusty chain?

Mine looked just like that after I went off on a week's holiday and forgot to stick the cover over the bike New chain too

Took about an hour with a fine wire brush and lots of WD40 and chain cleaner...back to new again Only did the outside with the wire brush, used a toothbrush and much patience for the rest as, not being intimate with the inner workings of a chain, aren't there plastic rings in there that are fairly delicate? Either way, whatever I did worked.
Old 08-01-08, 07:38 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

seen worse on Suze. I attack it with toothbrushes and WD. Got a kinky link in mine and it won't budge fer love nor money. Were gonna spray some plusgas in it, but Chris told me not to just in case. Just hope it keeps going til next month when it gets a new one fitted anyway

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 07:57 PM   #4
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

I had a "kinky link" this time last year, maybe for a month or two. Tried cleaning it, no joy.

Snapped at the kink overtaking a car on a (ahem) sliproad. Cue 5 figure revving and no forward motion, and granny trundles past on my inside.

A workmate was actually behind us in his car and said it was quite impressive.......... all the sparks!

Waiting for recovery, miss work ,then £85 on a new chain.

Should have done it earlier but thought I would get by for a while. Should have known better too.

Nope!
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 08:11 PM   #5
Lozzo

Where's the chain lube?

That chain is nowhere near lubed enough, that's why it's rusted.

I don't go a bundle on dry lubes and all that stuff, especially Castrol Chain Wax. I've replaced more chains that the owners have used that stuff on than any other, yet still the owners insist it's the best available. Fact - it's crap, you are getting 10K miles from a waxed chain, and most people with a Scottoiler are getting 20K plus.

I'm currently in the middle of trying to remove the accumulated crap from the rear sprocket, wheel and chain on my CBR600. It's taken me nearly a day to dig the congealed chain wax off everything, and I'm still not done. I've tried everything to dissolve it, but nothing but elbow grease, a toothbrush and paraffin is working. I never have to do this with bikes that have had the chain lubed by a Scottoiler or normal oil based chainlube.

Get some proper chain lube and use it.
Old 08-01-08, 08:16 PM   #6
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

tooo much fling on my polished rims, with normal lubes, tis why I use the wax, but i do clean Dave rather a lot and the chain gets plenty of attention. Suzes chain only got a tad rusty with a kink cause she got stood for a fair while, however the rust ain't there now, but that bloody kink is!!!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 08:52 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

I use old engine oil on the chain,and I NEVER clean it.I certainly would not put solvents like parafin on it.My chains look nasty,but dont rust and wear rates are very low.I would use a Scotty,but Im told they dont like old engine oil.Anyone know any different?
Old 08-01-08, 08:57 PM   #8
Lozzo

Why use old engine oil, surely clean oil is the best lubricant? Paraffin is what the chain makers recommend for cleaning chains, it doesn't attack the O-rings. You don't need to clean the chain if you use a Scottoiler, it does it for you. I'll take photos of my Triumph chain tomorrow, it's done 18,000 miles and never been cleaned, just lubed by a Scottoiler. It's not half way worn yet and is used year round.

I fill my Scottoiler with Husqvarna chainsaw oil, it cost me a tenner for 5 litres and that has lasted me for 5 years so far.
Old 08-01-08, 09:12 PM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Im a dreadful cheapscate
Old oil is free and needs getting rid of.And it works.My chain has about 20000 miles on it and very little wear,and my ZX9 has about 12000 miles and no wear.Admittedly my riding style is smoooth and gentle which helps but seems like a winning formula to me.
Old 08-01-08, 09:59 PM   #10
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

dry chain lube is P!$H
My chain kept doing that when I was using worth dry lube too. I kept cleaning it off, and it kept coming back. Switched to normal lube, and hey presto! No more rusty chain
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote