SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 19-03-06, 05:09 PM   #1
Chipstix

Default Advice about the ferry

Hello all,

I'm planning a trip into Europe in June. I'd like to take the ferry from Portsmouth-Bilbao ride around Pyrennes/Andorra/Cannes then up Route Napoleon and catch ferry back Calais-Dover.

Can anyone recommend an interesting route from the end of the Route Napoleon at Grenoble to Calais?

What's the cheapest way of getting the ferry tickets? I thought RiDE magazine used to have a P&O promotional code but can't find one anywhere. Otherwise a good ferry booking website suggestion would be appreciated.

I could also do with a good recommendation for a guide book to motorbike tours in Europe, if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers!

C.
Old 21-03-06, 09:24 AM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Calais dover return

For your one way return one option is speedferries.com, usually about 25 quid for a car if you book far enough in advance, similar for a bike I think.

The tunnel can also be cheapish if you book far enough in advance, but not sure for this time of year, best checking out their website (can't remember the address, sorry).

As for the other ferry route I'm afraid I've got no idea.
Old 21-03-06, 09:30 AM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

Default Re: Advice about the ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipstix
Hello all,

I'm planning a trip into Europe in June. I'd like to take the ferry from Portsmouth-Bilbao ride around Pyrennes/Andorra/Cannes then up Route Napoleon and catch ferry back Calais-Dover.

Can anyone recommend an interesting route from the end of the Route Napoleon at Grenoble to Calais?

What's the cheapest way of getting the ferry tickets? I thought RiDE magazine used to have a P&O promotional code but can't find one anywhere. Otherwise a good ferry booking website suggestion would be appreciated.

I could also do with a good recommendation for a guide book to motorbike tours in Europe, if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers!

C.
To be honest, if you book now, im sure that if you book direct, then it shold be fairly cheap. Brittany ferries i think do the Bilbao crossing. Coming back, seafrance at the mo seem to be the cheapest.

Also remember to get you bike serviced before you go, carry a small spares kit (Fuses, bulbs, bits of wire, gaffer tape, insulating tape etc) for any mishaps or get you home measures. Also make sure you have euro breakdown, and insurance, just incase you have over looked this. Also make sure your tyres have enough in them
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-06, 11:32 AM   #4
Jelster

Default Re: Advice about the ferry

Quote:
Depending on how much time you have:

Long way:
(day 1) Grenoble - Annecy - Chamonix
(day 2) Aoste (Italy) - Grand St Bernard Pass - round top of Lake Geneva - Ste Croix - Pontarlier
(day 3) Pontarlier - D437 to Maīche (wonderful road) Pick up N83 to Colmar for lunch and go over the D417 (Munster to Geradmer - one of the best roads in Europe) and on to Nancy
(day 4) Nancy - Verdun - Montcornet - Cambrai - Autoroute to Calais

Shorter way
(day 1) Grenoble - Bourg-en-Bresse - Besancon - Versoul - Chaumont
(day 2) Chaumont - St Dizier - Reims - Laon - St Quentin - Autoroute to Calais

Quote:
Look at the web prices, then phone the opperator and tell them you were have difficulty over the web, you'll get web rates. Have you considered the overnight Motorail from Calais to Perpignan ?? That will get you down to the Pyrenees overnight, with a few days to ride around.

Quote:
Get a map, look at a road and say "lets do it". Just plan your route around places and roads you want to ride. I plan all my Euro trips that way. If there is only a couple of you, you can get away without pre booking hotels too, which is much easier.

Have fun

Old 21-03-06, 01:09 PM   #5
Chipstix

Default Good advice, thanks...

Cheers guys,

I've booked direct with P&O. Couldn't find any promotional codes just on the net (which I have managed to do in the past with some retailers e.g. John Lewis), but P&O did give me a little discount for being an AA member (approx 5%)

[Thats Automobile Association, not Alcoholics Anonymous ]

Will take Ferry from Portsmouth-Bilbao on the Thur night, arrive Bilbao Sat morn 8:00am

Return Calais Dover on the following Saturday.

Jelster, cheers for the route tips, will definitely check them out....

This will be my first time riding the bike in Europe, and I'm very much looking forward to it!

C.
Old 21-03-06, 06:37 PM   #6
Jelster

Default Re: Good advice, thanks...

Quote:
Jelster, cheers for the route tips, will definitely check them out....
No problem. it's why the forum's here. If you can, try and fit in the D417, it's a fantastic bit of road, resurfaced last spring, so it's quality tarmac, and it wouldl be a shame to miss out on it.

Also, have a look at www.alpineroads.com for some more inspiration....

Old 21-03-06, 10:15 PM   #7
Mr Toad

Make sure you've got proper 'bike' insurance, including recovery
Most of the cheapie insurance deals exclude the use of bikes over 50cc

have fun