SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-03-16, 12:43 PM   #1
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Water tank thermostat

One for the plumbers - in the process of fitting a Nest I found that our (unvented) hot water tank thermostat is busted and doesn't shut off. It's a Range TS207 dual stat, seems to cost about £45 upwards. I came across this for £25:
http://www.esicontrols.co.uk/product...er-thermostat/
Need to check that it fits the same pocket on the tank but looks like I could keep the tank at 50C instead of 60C and save some gas (see the info about the weekly overheating). Anyone know anything about these?
ta
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-16, 03:14 PM   #2
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: Water tank thermostat

Keep the tank at 60C.
It keeps the water hot enough to stop bugs from growing, and is the advice in the ACoP L8.

IIRC Nest doesn't do hot water, so I assume you will need to run a conventional 7 day time clock for the water.

If you want to save gas and have a condensing boiler that you can control you are better off turning the boiler down to drop the return temperature. It maximises the saving on the condensing system.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-16, 03:55 PM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Water tank thermostat

Thanks - the stat above claims to satisfy building regs in terms of keeping the hot water "clean" but I wondered if it was really enough, the tank empties every other day so one heating cycle a week to kill the bugs is likely not enough I guess.

Nest 3rd generation can also schedule hot water, by default it is the times when the heating is likely to be on, I guess this is to mix the tank return with the heating loop return as the former will be up to 60C when the tank is hot? I have the radiators set to try to hit 20C difference between flow and return at the boiler, easier once I'd solved a pumpover problem! yes it is a condensing one.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote