SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-12-17, 11:38 AM   #5291
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

At least Apple can't deliberately slow down the Etch-a-Sketch to make you upgrade to a newer one LOL

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-17, 09:30 PM   #5292
Chris_SVS

The postage cost more

Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 12:26 PM   #5293
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours:- pensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I worked in the US for over 20 years and I am fully funded in their Social Security. I had to return to the UK because my Dad (who'll be 93 this year) was showing signs of Alzheimer's, which was confirmed 3 years ago. I never took US citizenship (big mistake) and so technically I'm described as a Resident Alien (aka Green card holder) but you're not supposed to leave the country for more than 6 months as a RA, so if I can return, I'll get fined.

My RA runs out in 4 years and can only be renewed within the US, I'm still looking after my Dad who has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia (and now cancer of the salivary gland). I contacted the US social security office and asked if my pension could be paid into a UK bank and they said I couldn't claim it if I was outside of the US. I contacted the US Embassy in London and they denied this but once before the INS (US immigration service) and the Embassy said different things and the Embassy was wrong.

The US pension system allows you to claim from the age of 62 onwards but at a reduced rate so I'll try and claim it this year but, if denied, I'm screwed.

So, that's my gripe!
Sorry to read about your Dad, my mum had just passed away after losing her battle to dementia just before Christmas.

I do lose my patience with rules where you've paid into the system, but can't get it out!

My mother in law is German, but holds a UK passport, and moved to the UK just after the war. She still qualified for a German pension, even though she's been resident here for over 60 years, it might not be much, but she still got it.

I agree that you should get yours.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 02:00 PM   #5294
BanannaMan

I wish you the best seeker however given the current administration's views on immigration, I'd keep my fingers crossed!
Mueller is the best hope not just for the US but for the whole world.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 03:26 PM   #5295
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanannaMan View Post
I wish you the best seeker however given the current administration's views on immigration, I'd keep my fingers crossed!
Mueller is the best hope not just for the US but for the whole world.
Absolutely with Bill on this one. Let's hope Mueller gets the job done quickly for all our sakes before the orange sh!tgibbon has him a) removed from his job or b) assassinated.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 04:46 PM   #5296
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Absolutely with Bill on this one. Let's hope Mueller gets the job done quickly for all our sakes before the orange sh!tgibbon has him a) removed from his job or b) assassinated.
The only hope for the world is because Trump realised what a sh!t state UK and Europe is in and the threat to democracy and freedom posed by creeping !5L4mification of western society (more of a threat than the metrocentric liberal elite, believe it or not, although they allowed it to happen) - the POTUS is our only hope, if he gets assassinated it may well be by a J!h4d! - then we are all f**ked good and proper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjpcp4gESsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMeYWfcUvUw

watch and weep.....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 01-01-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-01-18, 05:50 PM   #5297
Red ones
Mega Poster

Richard Jomshof I have no knowledge of, but Paul Weston is a far-right politician with experience of speaking on racist matters. UKIP is about as far left as he gets. A history of Liberty GB, British Freedom Party and allegiance with EDL and Britain First. He stands for anti immigration unless of course it suits him, or his Romanian wife. He heads Pegida and is mates with Tommy Robinson.

I'm sure his views are balanced and rational.

I weep when people like him get airtime and others think he speaks sense.

I'd rather follow Roderick Spode and have my knees measured thank you.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 10:02 PM   #5298
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Richard Jomshof I have no knowledge of, but Paul Weston is a far-right politician with experience of speaking on racist matters. UKIP is about as far left as he gets. A history of Liberty GB, British Freedom Party and allegiance with EDL and Britain First. He stands for anti immigration unless of course it suits him, or his Romanian wife. He heads Pegida and is mates with Tommy Robinson.

I'm sure his views are balanced and rational.

I weep when people like him get airtime and others think he speaks sense.

I'd rather follow Roderick Spode and have my knees measured thank you.
Follow who you like, but make sure they go through Luton, Birmingham, Rochdale and Wolverhampton and get a true feeling for 'modern Britain'.

Just because someone is right wing does not devalue their views in any way - does not make them racist any more than liberals who seem to hate their own race.

Old 02-01-18, 03:34 AM   #5299
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post

Just because someone is right wing does not devalue their views in any way - does not make them racist any more than liberals who seem to hate their own race.

Sounds exactly like conservatives here in America.
If you are not extreme right wing then you must be one of those (insert insult of your choice) liberals.

They have no concept of middle of the road politics or believing both parties have good ideas.
And any criticism of the far right makes you the enemy.
Something you don't get from the liberals, even if you are not always in total agreement everything they say.

They criticize other hate groups but no one preaches it harder than the far right.
This will be what brings the conservatives down in America and it's already showing in state elections.

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

Last edited by BanannaMan; 02-01-18 at 03:37 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 01:15 PM   #5300
Luckypants
Mega Poster

First day back in work since the 14th December
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote