SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-20, 10:50 PM   #1
ChrisCurvyS

Default Curvy/naked clock compatibility

Does anyone know if gen 1 curvy rev counter and speedo can be removed from their housing and easily refitted within the clocks of a first gen naked bike?

Reason being I've just picked up the latter and its clocks are in kph and the rev counter doesn't work, while I've got the clocks from my written off curvy.

Failing that at the risk of it looking poor could the curvy clocks plug straight in to the connection om the naked bike?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-20, 06:16 AM   #2
daktulos

Default Re: Curvy/naked clock compatibility

They're very different boards, completely different components, so can't be moved between housings. I suspect the curvy clocks would work, but don't know for sure if you'd need to adapt the wiring. Depending on how you wrote off the curvy, be careful with the clocks - the ACG in the tacho breaks far too easily, so make sure they work before putting any effort into it!

When I was looking for naked clocks on ebay, there many more S clocks, so that may be an option.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-20, 12:02 PM   #3
ChrisCurvyS

Many thanks for that - it sounds like more trouble than it's worth! The curvy was written off going into the side of a van (results in my avatar) so probably a high risk of a fault anyway.

On a much more basic level - would it be possible to transplant just the fascia from the rev counter?
Old 18-05-20, 04:28 PM   #4
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCurvyS View Post
Many thanks for that - it sounds like more trouble than it's worth! The curvy was written off going into the side of a van (results in my avatar) so probably a high risk of a fault anyway.

On a much more basic level - would it be possible to transplant just the fascia from the rev counter?
The naked curvy had two boards - one for the speedo, one for the tacho, but the S has one for both. Depending on what's wrong, you may be able to move components between two, but not going to be easy, a complete board replacement would be easier, but your mileage wouldn't be the same.

Edit - I just realised it was the S which was written off. Oops!

Last edited by daktulos; 18-05-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 18-05-20, 05:58 PM   #5
daktulos

Apologies, I had it all the wrong way round.

You should be able to replace the dial from the speedo - although this would leave you with the odometer reading wrong (in km but the dial saying miles). I don't know if it's possible to change the unit without replacing the board - I'd guess it's not. You could switch out the whole board/dial, but you then get the odometer from the donor bike.

The tacho is a separate board. There are broadly speaking two things that can go wrong with them (assuming you've not just got an electrical fault). Either the board has a blown component, usually due to a reg/rec failure, or the ACG (the silver cylinder between the board and the dial) has been physically damaged.

Depending on what's wrong, I may have spare parts for you as I bought a set of clocks for parts.

You may want to look here to get an idea of changing the dial (the tacho in this case):

http://www.antun.com/sv650tach/
Old 18-05-20, 11:08 PM   #6
ChrisCurvyS

Thanks so much for that link - that is exactly the problem I appear to have though the rev counter isn't working at all which may or may not be related.

I'll have a look at that and see how I get on - due to the age and lack of history with the bike accurate mileage is less of a concern. Thanks again for your replies.
Old 18-05-20, 11:11 PM   #7
ChrisCurvyS

Btw i might be interested in those parts as long as they fit within my limited soldering abilities - let me know what sort of price you have in mind.