SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-20, 04:42 AM   #1
fulburncams

Default Minimal Change for Track Day

So once the lock-down is over (autumn maybe ?) I have promised myself a track day. I am old ( 62 ;-( ), fit and cannot spend a lot so looking to mildly tune my SV650S K3 for the day. I am not looking to do anything to the engine apart from service and oil change, but would like to know what improvements i can make to the brakes and suspension so i do not end up in the barriers. I dont want to do a whole GSXR 600 front end change , just want to understand if i can improve on the stock eqpt. I have previously changed calipers , discs , pads so I am not a complete numpty, just wonder what others would recommend. Thanks
fulburncams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 09:28 AM   #2
aj76

Default Re: Minimal Change for Track Day

Never done a track day but if your looking for reasonably cheap improvements for suspension and brakes I would suggest you could change the fork oil, depending on when it was last done this alone will improve the front end. Depending on your weight/available funds if your going to the trouble of opening the forks up you could see even greater improvement by getting the right springs for your weight. There are rear shock upgrades you may also want to consider though some require modding the battery tray and some are straight swap so worthwhile researching if you want to go that far.

With regards to brakes recently rebuilt the calipers and front master cylinder as well as fitting braided lines just on 100 quid all in all and massive improvement over what they were. I fitted new pads from dealers when I deep cleaned the calipers before last year so didn't replace them but also worth considering.

Good luck and enjoy the track day!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-20, 10:46 AM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Let us know where you're doing the track day! Most likely too southern for me but always good to do one with a similar powered bike.

Pedro recently asked the same question on suspension and received good advice, it'll be somewhere in the bike/sv talk section.

I don't think there's a great deal you can do to your brakes without the gsxr conversion. There used to be some adaptor plates available for different callipers but think they're in short supply and not sure if necessary.

I'd change the fluid, look at getting braided brakelines (I use Hel) and rebuild the callipers with EBC HH Sintered brake pads. Wemoto sell calliper rebuild kits , you'll need some red rubber grease and fresh brake fluid.
Old 06-05-20, 11:23 AM   #4
fulburncams

Thankyou.
fulburncams is offline   Reply With Quote