SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-07-06, 06:09 AM   #1
Yellow650

Default Hypothetical Crash

Say you're travelling down the highway at no higher than the legal speed limit and all of a sudden you're cut off by a car moving into your lane (the driving have not seen you). You lay the bike down and slide quite a ways. You get up slowly, and after a few seconds of walking, you feel pretty good. Next, you:

A) Continue to check yourself for any injuries.

B) Walk over to your bike and begin a damage assesment.

Personally I think I would choose B.
Old 01-07-06, 09:36 AM   #2
Ch00

I think checking your self for damage would be the 1st thing to so. At then end of the day a bike (dare I say it) is just a piece of repairable metal and it can wait.

Ch00
Old 01-07-06, 10:47 AM   #3
FG1

Stay down. If the driver hasnt got the sense to check for hazards he deserves to be taken to the cleaners........
Old 01-07-06, 11:33 AM   #4
swamp

You forgot... Memorize the reg number of the car as your ass is sliding down the road because they are sure to drive off without stopping
Old 01-07-06, 11:49 AM   #5
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch00
I think checking your self for damage would be the 1st thing to so. At then end of the day a bike (dare I say it) is just a piece of repairable metal and it can wait.

Ch00
Experience says otherwise. :P

I think you partly know if youre seriously injured enough to stay down and not move, or whether you can get up. And if its the latter, your first priortity strangely seems to be your bike. I know from previous discussions Im not the only one to do this. :P
Old 01-07-06, 02:49 PM   #6
sv650s_guy

i did theis a feel months back a bloke pulled out and the first thing i did was check the bike gota have prioritys
Old 01-07-06, 02:55 PM   #7
Mr UKI

I got straight up after being taken out on a roundabout a couple of years ago to check the bike was OK, then fainted (think it was seeing the damage that did it!)
Old 01-07-06, 02:59 PM   #8
Razor

Thinking of the bike is a good sign. If you're in so much pain that you forget the bike you may as well wait for the ambulance.
Old 01-07-06, 04:04 PM   #9
Scooby Drew

I thought 'Bugger, the groceries' and toddled over to see that they were still attached to the bike. Followed by 'Hmm, hope those nice folks I just passed stop cos I need help to pick it up so I can ride home...'
Old 01-07-06, 11:13 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

I've never checked myself for damage... I sort of assume if I haven't already felt it, and I don't notice it while checking/picking up the bike, it can't be that bad.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote