SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-07-07, 02:52 PM   #1
Chipstix

Default anyone use a Garmin i3?

Hi All,

Is it possible to set up the Garmin i3 such that it will sound if there is a speed camera, but the voice prompts remain muted?

I use the i3 on the SV, and have adapted to not needing the voice commands (only the map), but it would useful if I maybe detected a 'bing bing' if a camera is sensed, as I may not always notice the red bar accross the top of the screen.

Thanks, Chris

Last edited by Chipstix; 06-07-07 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-07-07, 04:03 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: anyone use a Garmin i3?

was trying to use one of those yesterday but couldn't find satellites?

Last edited by kwak zzr; 06-07-07 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-07-07, 05:39 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

There is software out there to change the audio files - I changed my bing bing for a loud siren. I guess you could change all your commands to silence, except the bing bing?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 09:27 PM   #4
Beenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
There is software out there to change the audio files - I changed my bing bing for a loud siren. I guess you could change all your commands to silence, except the bing bing?
... or just turn the sound right down.

I've had an i3 for over a year now and it's ben fantastic in the car. Not a lot of room to fix it on the gixer though. A few bods at work have them as well and not had trouble. There is a web site that does monthly camera updates for a tidy sum of £20 per year that includes the roadworks jobs as well. The camera warnings turn the top banner red and show the position of the camera and override the speech. PM me if you want the link (I'm no affiliate of the site).
Old 06-07-07, 10:01 PM   #5
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz View Post
... or just turn the sound right down.
He wants sound - just not the directions
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 08:01 AM   #6
Beenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
He wants sound - just not the directions
Ah, sorry , I've just re-read the original post.
Old 09-07-07, 01:48 PM   #7
Chipstix

I've found a way of doing this.

You have to use an external piece of software, split the VPM file which you'll find on the memory card of the i3 (you'll need a card reader, and make sure you back up the original contents of the card first!).

The software splits the VPM file into a list of WAV files (about 130).

You can then do what you like.

I chose to modifiy the "American English" wav files. I decided to mute all of them accepts the bings and alert tones. This will mean if I set the unit to English, it will work as normal. If I set it to American, it will have bings and alerts but no voice commands. So I can fit to the SV, put volume to max, and only get speed camera alert noises!

You need to then go through these wav files, check which ones are bings, bongs and noises and leave those alone. For the others, mute them and then save the wav file. Once happy, use the software to 'join' the wav files together and put back on the memory card.

I'm planning on testing it on the way home from work today.....

For links type "Garmin i3 bike muted bing" into Google and follow search results.

Chris
Old 01-05-08, 02:07 AM   #8
monkey

Does it work Chipstix? I'm thinking about getting a sat nav now. I've finally given in and decided it's a must buy and want the same function as yourself.
Old 01-05-08, 07:20 AM   #9
glade

I've had an i3 for a few years and i recently broke it... pulled on the power lead and pulled the connector off the circuit board. stupid!

Tried to solder it back on but doesn't seem to work. Also it seems to crash now, that mustbe un-related. real shame because it's a good unit!!
glade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 08:44 AM   #10
Chipstix

Hi guys, yes still have the i3.

Its a basic unit but it works well. The mounting is great, bought from a guy here on the forum who made it for me.

The mod which removes the annoying directions which come out of the speaker (no headphone socket on an i3) works well - though it is hard to hear the camera warnings at speed.

The maps I have are a little out of date, but it is not economic sense to update them in my view with the price of new units dropping all the time.

The main limitation is the lack of touchscreen (just takes a bit longer), its not waterproof (keep a sandwich bag and elastic band in tankbag/underseat), and you can add only limited via points. This can be a limitation when trying to plot a specific and intricate route.

Use high capacity AA batteries (try 7dayshop.com) and carry 2 spares. I have a spare cigar lighter adaptor, which I was going to butcher and fit to power from the bike, but haven't got round to it.

The mod I'm now considering (its out of warranty), is to fit a 3.5mm socket, so I can connect to my autocom system and get directions - and more importantly - speed camera warnings in stereo in my lid!

This mod will prob best be done WITHOUT bike power initially, as the risk of a noise from a ground loop will be high (without adding some other isolation). On batts should be fine.

Mrs Chipstix and I have talked about the possibility of upgrading to a Garmin ZUMO, but they're still very expensive - it’s a long way down the priority list.

By the way, the i3, is now on my new VFR800 here's a pic……