SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-10-09, 12:51 PM   #1
AndyBrad

Default Does anoyne else have a problem getting rubbish collected?

Ok is it me? am i neing unreasonable? or are calderdale counsil just being twonks!?

Ive spent half an hour this morning trying to get our bins picked up. only to be told they will not. The reason is the gate was shut! now is it me or is this silly? considering previously thet had to go round the back of the house and through a gate, now its at the front why is it any different? they are also saying that because we didnt put the bin in our doorway and to the side (so we can get out of the door, for the postie etc) that that also means they wont pick it up!

Is it unreasonable of me to expect my rubbish to be collected? am i being a pain in the ass?
Old 29-10-09, 01:15 PM   #2
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Does anoyne else have a problem getting rubbish collected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
Ok is it me? am i neing unreasonable? or are calderdale counsil just being twonks!?

Ive spent half an hour this morning trying to get our bins picked up. only to be told they will not. The reason is the gate was shut! now is it me or is this silly? considering previously thet had to go round the back of the house and through a gate, now its at the front why is it any different? they are also saying that because we didnt put the bin in our doorway and to the side (so we can get out of the door, for the postie etc) that that also means they wont pick it up!

Is it unreasonable of me to expect my rubbish to be collected? am i being a pain in the ass?
In Batley & Accy we have to wheel our bins to a particular collection point by the road. The bin men won't enter your property at all.
Old 29-10-09, 01:23 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

We have to leave our bins at the roadside. However, they tend to collect at about 7:15 am, so if you forget to take them out the night before, you have had it as they collect only recyclable one week and only rubbish the following.

Having been missed a few times, I now have the email and direct dial number of the guy responsible at the local council. He is excellent, unlike the phone answering people.

Hello, I would like to report a failure to empty my bin.
Did you put it out
yes
Well they would have emptied it if it was out on time.
like they have failed to empty every other bin on my estate.
Do you live on Bankside
yes
There were vehicles blocking access, we will try again tomorrow

Next day

You have still not emptied my bin
Oh you must be on Bankside, there were vehicles blocking access.

No **** batman, why don't you send somebody to ticket them.
That is the councils job
Err are you not the council
No we are contractors, you need to talk to the council.

So like I say I now have the contact details for the guy responsible for the contract at the council. He tells them to use their small bin truck that can squeeze past the nuisance parkers

Last edited by timwilky; 29-10-09 at 01:24 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-09, 01:32 PM   #4
Quedos

live in a block of flats - weekly collections your own personal recycle bins its cool (until you get some twonks who refuse to actually use the bins and dump their rubbish outside the bin shelters)

personally get onto te council and explain that you want a explanation why when it was good before it, it isn't now. then you want to know if there has been a change in healt and safety a procedures if so you wish to know the change. If you were not told of the new procedures also point that out and ask why the service has failed in its leagl obligations to advise of the change in collection. then if all else fails - local councillor - they have more clout than you think when it comes to bin collections
Old 29-10-09, 01:48 PM   #5
Gazza77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedos View Post
live in a block of flats - weekly collections your own personal recycle bins its cool (until you get some twonks who refuse to actually use the bins and dump their rubbish outside the bin shelters)

personally get onto te council and explain that you want a explanation why when it was good before it, it isn't now. then you want to know if there has been a change in healt and safety a procedures if so you wish to know the change. If you were not told of the new procedures also point that out and ask why the service has failed in its leagl obligations to advise of the change in collection. then if all else fails - local councillor - they have more clout than you think when it comes to bin collections
Just google "Calderdale Council", "Sita" and "Kerbside". There are huge issues throughout Calderdale with collections and the tendering process for the contract to collect and recyle/dispose of waste. It's a can or worms you really don't want to open.

Then Triumph Sprint ST with scottoiler and R&Gs & TOR exhaust

Now Benelli Tornado
Gazza77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-09, 03:12 PM   #6
Quedos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza77 View Post
Just google "Calderdale Council", "Sita" and "Kerbside". There are huge issues throughout Calderdale with collections and the tendering process for the contract to collect and recyle/dispose of waste. It's a can or worms you really don't want to open.
big fat granny pants then - sorry for duff advice
Old 29-10-09, 03:20 PM   #7
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

I know someone who left their curvey SV parked on the street and the bin men just left it there for weeks
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-09, 03:36 PM   #8
appollo1
Mega Poster

in fife you have to put your bins at the kerbside to be collected. the binmen here wont take the wheely bins if the lid is open even by an inch.

http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk/ everyone deserves a second chance

RIP Appollo miss you and will always love you x x x x
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-09, 03:55 PM   #9
Bri w

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
I know someone who left their curvey SV parked on the street and the bin men just left it there for weeks
Naughty...

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-09, 03:59 PM   #10
maviczap
Mega Poster

Bin men have more & more rules these days. We used to put out 2 brown recycling bins a week, cos we were very good at sorting out our rubbish. Our neighbour had given us the extra bin he'd got from the recycling centre. This carried on happily for a year, then all of a sudden there's a note on the 2nd bin giveing a reason why it's not collected. Next brown bin day, I stick it on my neighbours bit, as they don't put out a brown bin. Cheeky bin man doesn't collect it and sticks the same notice on it.

Phone up council and they say we haven't paid for a 2nd brown bin, £30 please. This is despite my neighbour not putting his out, and he and others put out multi black bin liners full of waste just to go to landfill. There's no quotas for how many bin liners you can put out.

So pay for 2nd bin. But before it was delivered, the cheeky bin man checked in my garden on brown bin day to see if I still had my other 2nd brown bin, and not just poking his head round the gate, but a full nose round the garden & house.

Bloomin Nazi binman

Still all sorted now, as now have 1 normal bin, 1recycling bin & 1 brown (composting) bin. But I do have to put them on the edge of the road.

Slight derail sorry
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote