SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-08-23, 09:13 AM   #3531
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All New Megathread

We all know that that the number of police out on the roads has diminished to such an extent that many drivers think they can get away with anything. After too many near misses I had front/rear dashcams professionally installed on both our cars and have an action cam mounted prominently on the bars of the bike. The action cam swaps over to my bicycle too when I'm on that. Drivers do notice them as I've seen them change their attitude when they clock it.

I know full well that I may be held partly liable if my own footage shows I'm partly to blame for an incident, and that's fine. Taking responsibility for your own actions is only right. Plus, the overstretched police don't have time to trawl through all your footage - they're only going to want to look at the immediately before to see how a situation developed.

I ride sensibly to the conditions, to the spirit of the law if not fully within it. A-holes like the young lad last night flying through the town centre, ignoring pedestrians half way over a zebra crossing, and only missing them (me!) by millimeters, are why I have my cameras. Shame I didn't have one on me on that walk to Morrisons last night...
Old 26-08-23, 09:32 AM   #3532
Craig380
Mega Poster

Taken from the r/motorcycles subreddit: here's another danger for bikers to watch out for

"Was out at twilight on a wooded road. Noticed there were a ton of bats flying overhead and dive-bombing the roadway. I was going about 60 mph and one smacked me in my chest. Definitely a brown bat… I was wearing my gear, only exposed skin was my wrists which are fine. There was a little bit of bat blood on my vest. This is a huge fear of mine… not the bat, but rabies. Like… what if a claw made it through the mesh of my jacket or under my helmet on my neck? What if it was imperceptible? I don’t see anything but I’m really paranoid. I called two hospitals… one chuckled and said I’d be fine, and they’d only give me the rabies protocol under strict circumstances. Another refused to talk with me and said it’s very serious and to go to the ER to be assessed."
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-23, 07:42 AM   #3533
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Morning all. Looks like bank holiday weather here, grey and threatening rain. I think I'll not get the bike out today, as aside from the weather, the roads are full of idiots!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-23, 08:28 AM   #3534
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Morning all. Looks like bank holiday weather here, grey and threatening rain. I think I'll not get the bike out today, as aside from the weather, the roads are full of idiots!
Bank holiday traffic, I'm with you, it won't be enjoyable if you do go out on the bike

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk
Old 27-08-23, 10:35 AM   #3535
Seeker
Mega Poster

My son is over from the US (with my ex) to celebrate my ex's Nan's 90th b/day. He stayed with me Thur night but I had to drop him off in Spalding on Friday. My preferred route takes me past Cadwell but with BSB no through traffic is allowed so I took the A16 which means I have to cross the Mablethorpe traffic and then the Skeggie traffic.
What was infuriating was some temporary traffic lights near Ulceby Cross (Skeggie traffic) - no-one working, road surface intact, no reason for them to be there. I watched the ETA on the satnav start ticking upwards in the 2 mile queue.

The A16 goes from Grimsby to Spalding but only an insane person would follow it since it goes through Boston which has no ringroad and lots of traffic lights.

So detour past RAF Coningsby via New York (I get a kick out of that if even if son didn't). Hubberts Bridge is interesting - a narrow humpback bridge (will only fit one artic), 30 feet from a railway crossing and a further 20 feet from the A1121 - a popular route to avoid Boston. Very popular.

Assuming you get past this you reach the A52 (go right), then the A17 (go left) more coast traffic plus we are in the middle of farming territory at harvest time - yes there were tractors, lots of tractors.

Finally A16 (go right) and sail down to Spalding (at 30 mph). Dropped off my son and then had to drive past my ex and her husband (we don't get on - maybe because he was chatting to my wife for 6 months behind my back).

On the plus side, I hadn't seen my son in person for 5 years and I thoroughly enjoyed him staying even if I had to share him with an iPhone (he is 33). He is a good looking man (not from me) so when he went on Tinder he found a beautiful looking girl (woman?) that was prepared to drive from Peterborough to collect him for a night out. In the US if you're under 6' too bad, girls here seem more tolerant (he's 5'8 ).
Never had a girl do that for me.
Old 27-08-23, 11:31 AM   #3536
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Reminds me of some of my rides around Shrewsbury. Lots of temporary lights with no significant reason for them. Glad you had a good time with your son.

Old 27-08-23, 01:16 PM   #3537
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Well, going to risk a quick spin into Welshpool before the supermarket shuts as I need a couple of bit. Hope there aren't too many eejits about.....
Old 27-08-23, 03:00 PM   #3538
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Black clouds all around today. Even though it has only spotted every now and again at Trev Towers itself I can see it raining hard not far away in two different directions. So I ended up washing the insides of the windows instead of getting a ride, which is NOT a good substitute!!
Old 27-08-23, 04:10 PM   #3539
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I popped out for an hour. I was trying out a software update for the Honda navigation app.

Old 27-08-23, 04:28 PM   #3540
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Made it back from Welshpool just as it started raining! A close call as I didn't have my waterproofs with me.