SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-08, 11:08 AM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default Suzuki GSXR750 K6-7 vs Triumph Daytona 675

Right,

I'm thinking of both of these as my next bike when I move to Holland in a month's time. I'll be buying secondhand due to the price of second hand bikes and I keep changing my mind between the two.

I'll be using the bike for the following activities in priority order (given that Holland has flat boring roads on the whole):

1. The Nurburgring - aiming for about 200 laps next year (did 58 this year) and will be trailing the bike down from Holland (4-500 mile round trip) 5+ times a year. This is a fast circuit with uphill sections where grunt is required as well as finesse. The bike needs to be road legal, insured etc for this

2. Trackdays - I'll try the dutch circuits (Zandvoort, Assen) as well as other European circuits (Spa, very fast big bike territory, Zolder, Mugello and more). These will be done with a mixture of towing the bike or riding to the circuit.

3. Weekends away - quick blasts out to good riding roads where a smidgen of practicality is required.

4. Week(s) away - it'd be rude not to do the odd assault on the Alps again when on the continent.

So which would you recommend? Have you tried both? I'm a smidge over 6 foot, and not overweight (about 12 1/2 stone).

Things I'm looking for:

Speed
Handling
Reliability
Ease/cost of maintenace

So let battle commence and answers on a postcard please. I know there are owners of both bikes out there, price wise there is very little in it on the dutch 2nd hand market.

Last edited by Tim in Belgium; 22-08-08 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Subject!!
Old 22-08-08, 11:13 AM   #2
Tim in Belgium

Default Re: Suzuki GSXR750 K6-7 vs Suzuki Daytona 675

Doh, subject title should read TRIUMPH Daytona, can a Mods change it?
Old 22-08-08, 11:33 AM   #3
G
Mega Poster

Tough one that, I bloody love the looks and power delivery the Triumph offers, but there was always things in the back of my mind when I was looking to buy one. A) Reliability - Even the triumph salesman told me they use scary amounts of oil and have electrical gremlins. B) Build quality - Even bikes in the showroom with 2k on looked used even though they were very clean, it was hard to put my finger on it. C) Was comfort for me and pillion - I found the triumph very tall and very narrow, always thought it would really take some getting used to, my girlfriend struggled to get on the back aswell and found it very uncomfortable.

As for the GSXR750, I only tried the 600 which I believe uses the same frame as the 750, I could not get on with the seating position at all, found the bike tiny and would get really bad cramps, I also marked the demo bike with a plastic zip on my fleece with not alot of pressure which really worried me. If you can get on with the seating position then I cant see much wrong with it other than usual suzuki build quality.

I think I would go triumph.
Old 22-08-08, 11:50 AM   #4
carty

I haven't tried the Triumph but I know the Suzuki 750 is the same size as my 600 which is perfect for me but I think would be a bit cramped for people over 6 foot.

On the other hand, the 600 is brilliant, so I can only imagine the 750 to be even better. If you're on the continent it might be cheaper for servicing / parts on a Japanese bike too rather than the Triumph?

I'd go for the GSXR, I know that people talk about fit and finish on Suzuki's but I've done almost 10k miles on mine in just over a year from new, in most weathers (no snow) and when it's cleaned it still looks brand new. Plus it still feels great. Which is the main thing!

Cheers,
Matt
Old 22-08-08, 11:51 AM   #5
carty

Tim, 200+ laps of the Ring + other trackdays next year

I hate you!
Old 22-08-08, 11:58 AM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Both great bikes, both great engines, and both great handling chassis'.

The best way you can choose the right bike is to test ride them both yourself, we can only suggest or comment from our own experinces but just like the press we will not know which bike suits you, your riding style, and your needs as much as you.
Old 22-08-08, 12:20 PM   #7
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumph 675 owners
675!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki GSX-R 750 owners
750!
Actually I'm surprised we haven't heard the above yet

As a 750 owner I am going to be impartial and say you should get test rides here before you go.

I think the 750 would be a little bit quicker with a bit more grunt but it''ll be negligible.

Speed and handling I just don't think will be a major factor, both would suit, although I note from lukemillar's posts of his track day in Oz on his 675, that it didn't have quite that great a track setup on the front? (IIRC he said he dragged it over as much as he had his R6, but the 675 tucked?)

Reliability - well the oil thing, some people get it, some don't. Seems a bit hit and miss. Nothing major I know of on the 750 in terms of reliability.

I suspect maintenance will be less costly on the GSX-R as mentioned because of things like parts availability and general proliferation of the models.

Does the cost of insurance vary much for you over there? That might be a factor.
Old 22-08-08, 12:20 PM   #8
muffles

Oh yes and I meant to add, the 675 I hear repeatedly as being suitable for the taller rider, and the 600/750 for shorter riders. Given your height that might be a big factor.
Old 22-08-08, 12:21 PM   #9
muffles

Noticed one other thing re: practicality/weekends away - the K6/7 750 has a bit of storage underseat but I doubt the 675 has much, what with that can. It surely can't be as much as the 750 anyhow.
Old 22-08-08, 12:28 PM   #10
Alpinestarhero

Now, I havn't ridden it yet, but my dad seems to be able to do a rather large amount of varied riding on his GSXR750. He's been all round france on it, been to the nurburgring on it, pootled around town on it, shown me how 35+ years experiance riding makes you a very handy rider on it.

He dosn't complain of discomfort, except a little ache in his wrists if he stays too long on the motorway (he claims that the bike is more comfy at 90 mph than 70 mph, the wind helps to lift his weight off the bars a bit).

The only thing he found was soft luggage had a tendancy to rub away at the paintwork; after his france trip, he had to repaint the tailpeice. Not good, Mr Suzuki.

Matt