SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 05-08-09, 09:56 AM   #21
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Newbie trackday advice

If it's organised by the likes of Hottrax, or No Limits, then book some time with an instructor it's normally free & you wont believe how much you learn from them. I tthought I was a good rider, but when you see a bloke coming past you with his knee on the deck, looking behind him to show someone a line, it makes you realise how slow you are. Pride was a big thing with me, but my next trackday may be spent with an instructor to make me that little faster
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 10:07 AM   #22
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
Pride was a big thing with me,
Its a big thing with a lot of people, and a lot of them will be on the track with you.

to heavily Paraphrase Pulp Fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulkiss Wallace
The day of the trackday, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride messing with you. Forget pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.
So what if you are the slowest out there? You'll be riding your bike home, and probably better than you rode it there.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 10:17 AM   #23
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

I was slowest in my group, mainly because it was full of people on race-prepped track bikes (race fairings, numbers and support vans) all in the novice group with me... the only actual novice... it was a waste of time for me but if I do one again, it'll be a novice only day so I can explore my limits without a ducati trying to have me off whilst attempting to keep up with his mates

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 05:38 PM   #24
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Make sure you don't have R&G's. They are worth shizzle all in a crash. They should call them 'drop protectors' to quote Mr.Spiers as that's all they're good for.

Just make sure you keep within your own limits, as everyone else has said. You will also be surprised at the grip you can get from the track tarmac. Have fun more than anything and don't worry about people behind you or keeping up with those in front.

: sunny:

Last edited by Binky; 05-08-09 at 11:04 PM.
Binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-09, 07:14 PM   #25
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Make sure you don't have R&G's. They are worth shizzle all in a crash. They should call them 'drop protectors' to quote Mr.Spiers as that's all they're good for.

Just make sure you keep within your own limits, as everyone else has said. You will also be surprised at the grip you can get from the track tarmac. Have fun more than anything and don't worry about people behind you or keeping up with those in front.

: sunny:
Cheers binky, although unfortunately they are r&Gs that are fitted. ah well better than nowt.
Old 05-08-09, 07:32 PM   #26
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Cheers mr C but it's my first trackday+wet+new bike (probably going to be like the 10th time I've ridden it) and I'm a pessimist.
Going round some bends on the AR the backend went without warning but it was as I was picking it up anyway so didn't trip me up, thing was I was taking it pretty easy so can invisage some arsé/tarmac interface on a soaking track
Why are you so obsessed with it being wet?

It will be dry. Dry and warm.

Seriously, the best thing is to stop worrying about it and ride to your capabilities. As Mr C says above, trying to push that little bit harder is what will cause problems.

If you overthink the possibilities, that's when you'll come off.
Old 06-08-09, 08:03 AM   #27
Daimo

Im taking my Benelli out for my first track day.

Only goes as fast as you tell it too. No self control, then run the risk of binning it.
Old 06-08-09, 08:09 AM   #28
plowsie

Daimo we heard a nelli with a stubby can on, wowsers it sounded nice.

My advice, don't crash.
Old 06-08-09, 08:42 AM   #29
Daimo

What colour?

What is also a Remus exhaust, or one of the motogp style ones?

Not heard a stubby yet, all those lot live mid country upwards. All us Southern Fairys use proper exhuast systems

You bought yourself an F4R?
Old 06-08-09, 09:49 AM   #30
Rob969

I wouldn't worry about falling you'll probably find that you feel more comfortable going into the corners on your Sv than a lot of people on more expensive quicker bikes, I did 1 a couple of weeks ago at Snett after only riding for a coulple of months and felt that I was riding well within mine and the SV's comfort zone but i was still quicker than a lot of other bikes, If you feel like your holding people up let tham past and try and learn from the quicker riders, look at the lines there taking and even talk to them in the pits asking if they have any tips most people will gladly give you a few pointers. Above all enjoy yourself and ride safe, one of the best things to learn whilst on the track is how hard you can actually brake safely, During my track day i think i pretty much halved my braking zone by the end of the day just make it a gradual progression.