SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-11-05, 08:08 AM   #1
DainBramage

Default ,broken SV650 K4 :(

Hi all,
new to forum and in need of some help!
I rode through a heavy storm yesterday and after about 45 mins the SV started cutting out and revving erraticaly, too bad to keep riding! Called out the AA, waited 2hrs to be to he didn't know about motorbikes so it's being recovered to my dealer. Anyone had similar probs and got any tips to get ut sorted quickly? Thanks in advance
Old 25-11-05, 08:18 AM   #2
valleyboy

Right, my guess would be the front cylinder flooded with water.

The SV has a tendancy to let water get into the front spark plug, and thus under heavy rain, it'll cut out, making your V-Twin into a single cylinder.. which aint fun!

You need to undo the botom retaining bolt on your radiator, and hinge it forward slightly, then you should be able to see a lead going into the cylinder head, this is where the spark plug is. Pull the lead out (needs a bit of force occasionaly) then find a rag and a stick of some sort, poke the rag into the spark plug hole, and try and soak up as much water as you can, then get some WD40 and spray some into there... put the cable back in, making sure it goes in correctly (read owners manual to find out) put blt back on for the rad.. and that should cure that..

there is also a drain hole on the side of the cylinder, think its the right side as you sit on the bike.. this tends to clog... try using a pipe cleaner to free it up..
Old 25-11-05, 08:20 AM   #3
MitchC

Hey,

First off, welcome to the site. You came to the right place!!

Secondly, do not worry. The SV is KNOWN for this. Since the front piston is exposed to the splash off the front tire, you get water in the spark plug and it does not fire. I am not sure if damage is done because you continued to ride off one cylinder, I think it would depend on how long you went.

How to prevent this from occuring in the future? Buy a fender extender.

Some technical guys will come help you out. I just ride the bike...

Mitch

Keep your feet on the pegs and keep your right hand cranked.
Did your right hand write a cheque that your rear tire couldn't cash?

www.MITCHCAVE.com | I Do It With Twins
MitchC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-05, 08:20 AM   #4
MitchC

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyboy
Right, my guess would be the front cylinder flooded with water.

The SV has a tendancy to let water get into the front spark plug, and thus under heavy rain, it'll cut out, making your V-Twin into a single cylinder.. which aint fun!

You need to undo the botom retaining bolt on your radiator, and hinge it forward slightly, then you should be able to see a lead going into the cylinder head, this is where the spark plug is. Pull the lead out (needs a bit of force occasionaly) then find a rag and a stick of some sort, poke the rag into the spark plug hole, and try and soak up as much water as you can, then get some WD40 and spray some into there... put the cable back in, making sure it goes in correctly (read owners manual to find out) put blt back on for the rad.. and that should cure that..

there is also a drain hole on the side of the cylinder, think its the right side as you sit on the bike.. this tends to clog... try using a pipe cleaner to free it up..
Beat me to it.

Mitch

Keep your feet on the pegs and keep your right hand cranked.
Did your right hand write a cheque that your rear tire couldn't cash?

www.MITCHCAVE.com | I Do It With Twins
MitchC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-05, 09:24 AM   #5
BillyC
Mega Poster

What he said (MitchC)
Old 25-11-05, 09:52 AM   #6
DainBramage

Hi all,
thanks for the welcome and the propmpt and helpful responses! Just spoke to the mechanic at my dealer and he said the same. Fender extender it is!
Old 26-11-05, 02:45 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

A lot of people find they can get a good result just by refitting the cap and clearing the drain hole...

Every time this thread comes up I say the same thing. Maplins sell a silicon, nonconductive waterproof grease, £3.99 a tube. Glom it around the plug cap, and job's a good 'un. In my experience it's good for the life of the plug, so that tube will last you the rest of your life. Takes maybe 20 minutes to do if you're not changing a plug, or effectively no time at all if you are.

Fender extender's not a bad idea since they help keep the mank and debris off the front cylinder too. But IMO they're not the best fix for this problem. I still had the clyinder start to miss after fitting it-seems like when turning water can get past the edge- but with the goop I've crossed fords, ridden through 50 foot floods up to the engine, no problems at all.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-05, 05:34 PM   #8
mac650s

northwinds the dude shall be getting some goop tomorrow
Old 26-11-05, 06:05 PM   #9
kwak zzr

you know that flap of rubber which is suzukis atempt to stop this problem the one hanging off your radiator, well mines fell off looks better without it anyhow.
Old 26-11-05, 08:53 PM   #10
hall13uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
you know that flap of rubber which is suzukis atempt to stop this problem the one hanging off your radiator, well mines fell off looks better without it anyhow.
yeah mine did too i got another one from my local dealer tho, they just gave me it which was good . it's been cable tied this time