SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-12-05, 03:03 PM   #1
Jase22

Default Progressive or linear fork springs - the ultimate argument!

Perhaps I'm tempting fate by asking this, but having read up the pros and cons of both style of fork spring I'm still no closer to deciding one or the other.

I was hoping that a suspension guru could provide further insight into this dilema!!

As far as I understand it, progressive springs are intended to provide a softer ride over small bumps while they are stiffer at the maximum spring rate to absorb bigger impacts and would generally give a smoother ride.

The linear springs for my weight on the other hand would be stiffer than the stock springs throughout the spring range and would stiffen up the ride and make the bike feel more responsive.

Am I close with my explanations? And is it just a matter of personal preference as to what feedback you prefer to get from your forks?

Thanks
Jase

(waits for the onslaught of abuse )
Old 20-12-05, 06:47 PM   #2
raymond smith

1st off let me say that this is only my opinion. i fitted hagon springs with the recommended oil and air gap to my curvy and found a massive improvement as one would expect as the original was so crap. then having done more research and internet searching i decided to fit racetech emulators and ohlins linear springs and to be honest the improvement over the 1st mod was not worth it financially cos its very subtle and unless you,re a riding god you might not notice the difference. to sum up if your a utility rider who has the odd thrash progressive would suit fine but if you,re a balls out scratcher then linear will give consistant feedback. some people have reported that just chainging the oil and air gap have given them the improvement they were looking for
Old 20-12-05, 08:13 PM   #3
Robw#70

The problem with progressive springs is that you cannot valve the forks to suit the spring as its rate constantly changing, so if re-valving (emulators on sv) then it is best to go for linear springs to suit your weight/style.

However a correctly selected progressive spring can make up for the inefficient valving on most std forks.
I have found Hyperpro fork kits give the best results for their cost, making the forks good on the road as well as the track (track setup forks can be a bit harsh at lower speeds on the road)
Old 20-12-05, 09:40 PM   #4
RandyO

dual rate
Old 21-12-05, 02:42 PM   #5
Jase22

Can't say I'm a balls out rider, but I do "ride" my bike and know that I need a different set up with my fork springs, the stock ones are too soggy.

Agreed on the valving, but I won't be re-valving my forks yet and as you say, the progressive springs make up for the inefficiency to some degree. Also given that I'll be keeping the standard shock, I would have thought the bike would feel more balanced with a set of progressive springs over linear ones of a higher spring rate?
Old 21-12-05, 06:24 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Once you improve the front with decent springs and oil you will probably then notice that the rear no longer measures up.Then you will want a better shock.Definitely start with the front though as it's the most cost effective mod.
Old 21-12-05, 06:45 PM   #7
Robw#70

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO
dual rate
Put em in a spring tester and you'll find otherwise
Old 21-12-05, 11:28 PM   #8
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robw#70
Quote:
dual rate
Put em in a spring tester and you'll find otherwise
what will you find on a spring tester???

constant rate springs no doubt are best on the track, start riding rough (gravel) roads and you will find it's not adequate

stack a short soft spring over a longer harder spring, (2 separate constant rate springs)
Old 22-12-05, 05:53 PM   #9
Grainger

I would get as a heavyweight a setup as possible:

fed up with the bangy standard set up i fitted some hagon springs at 15 weight oil (I'm 12 stone). really can't say I notice much improvement on the road. Most of my riding is done in central and south london where the roads are frankly appauling. TBH I'm so fed up with the constant thunking and jarring I'm considering buying a Duke or similar! The front suspension is definitely the SVs biggest shortcoming
Old 22-12-05, 06:58 PM   #10
Robw#70

Quote:
what will you find on a spring tester???
You will find that regardless of whether you use two seperate springs or one progressively wound spring the results will be similar as they work together not seperately giving a progressive spring rate.

The problem with using two springs is space, to get a spring of a suitable rate will require either a certain length with a smaller diameter coil or a shorter spring with thicker coils, the shorter spring will have its travel restricted as it will go coil bound too quickly, a progressive wound spring has both length and a good rising rate allowing full travel to be used and give a good ride for most conditions