SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-07, 07:20 PM   #51
John 675

Post Re: Other bikers who sneak up behind you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenalife View Post
This is EXACTLY how we appear to car drivers.

It's a bit like a tortoise and a dog, the dog walks past and the tortoise thinks "WOW, look at that, unbelievable, he almost hit me, where does he get off speeding around like that???". To the dog of course, it was perfectly natural and in control, nothing special.

I want anything I overtake to just continue as they are, I'll do all the thinking and planning. I'm extra wary around bikes, all that weaving and stuff!! I get wide and pop past as quick as I can, I don't want us both behind a car jockeying to get past it.
precisely, when people say to me " i get worried when bikes are behind me, i always try and get out of the way" i always tell them that the bikes will go around you in their own time, if at all so just keep doing the same
Old 12-03-07, 07:21 PM   #52
rich_r

Default Re: Other bikers who sneak up behind you..

[QUOTE=arenalife;1136527]This is EXACTLY how we appear to car drivers.

It's a bit like a tortoise and a dog, the dog walks past and the tortoise thinks "WOW, look at that, unbelievable, he almost hit me, where does he get off speeding around like that???". To the dog of course, it was perfectly natural and in control, nothing special.

/quote]

Yes car drivers might not hear or see us, but I dont get so close that I can buff their bodywork with my elbow!

Last edited by rich_r; 12-03-07 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 10:16 PM   #53
thedonal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylej View Post
precisely, when people say to me " i get worried when bikes are behind me, i always try and get out of the way" i always tell them that the bikes will go around you in their own time, if at all so just keep doing the same
That's a fair point- most respectable riders won't do the rash/dangerous thing- because of what both riders stand to lose.

However, if I'm cruising along in traffic, or have missed an overtaking opportunity, I will ride slightly in the left side of the lane to make it clear to passing bikers that I'm not in their way.

I generally get a thanks for this. Happens a lot riding back from Boxhill where a group might ride past in places I've yet to dare to overtake. I also find myself more and more checking my mirrors to ensure I don't hold someone up- that's just cos I'm a caring and considerate kind of guy though!
Old 13-03-07, 06:36 AM   #54
Tomcat

Yes car drivers might not hear or see us, but I dont get so close that I can buff their bodywork with my elbow![/quote]

Get a louder can then everyone can hear you