SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-17, 09:19 AM   #11
kazputin

Default Re: Low fuel efficiency, new rider, what to look for?

Haha, all too true!
Old 20-09-17, 11:35 AM   #12
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Those numbers dont sound too bad for a bike used mostly in town/traffic.Also the mods tend to increase fuel consumption a bit,sometimes a lot depending on how they are set up.To measure consumption accurately you need to brim the tank,note the mileage, then ride for the usual 100/130 miles until you next fill up.Then you brim the tank again,note the mileage and you have an exact figure for how much fuel is used over that exact mileage
Old 20-09-17, 11:48 AM   #13
DuncanC

10 miles per litre equals 38mpg if you are using US gallons. If using proper English gallons then 10 miles per litre is 45mpg.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-17, 01:42 PM   #14
glang

[QUOTE=kazputin;3076864]Hi all, cheers for the commentS!

Bike is a little modified - has a rather loud scorpion end can and a washable air filter (among other cosmetic stuff). Was also self-serviced by the last owner who said he replaced some spark plugs (I have his receipt for them too). Think I'll do a bit of self-service when I get a free weekend and take a look at filters and plugs...

Not sure about rich - I sometimes get a waft that smells a bit fuelly but that could also be the cars around me given I do a lot of riding in traffic!

My K6 fuel consumption dropped off when I changed the can. I think the reduced back pressure causes a bit of over fueling as it pops n bangs now. It would probably need a reprogramme of the injection to get it perfect....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-17, 01:45 PM   #15
kazputin

[QUOTE=glang;3076879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazputin View Post
Hi all, cheers for the commentS!

Bike is a little modified - has a rather loud scorpion end can and a washable air filter (among other cosmetic stuff). Was also self-serviced by the last owner who said he replaced some spark plugs (I have his receipt for them too). Think I'll do a bit of self-service when I get a free weekend and take a look at filters and plugs...

Not sure about rich - I sometimes get a waft that smells a bit fuelly but that could also be the cars around me given I do a lot of riding in traffic!

My K6 fuel consumption dropped off when I changed the can. I think the reduced back pressure causes a bit of over fueling as it pops n bangs now. It would probably need a reprogramme of the injection to get it perfect....
Ah, yeah I get the odd pop on deceleration, so I'll add that to the list to think about!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 20-09-17, 02:17 PM   #16
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Do yourself a favour.As you are going to have the tank up etc service some of the electrics.

Buy a can of Switch cleaner(Maplins or Servisol from Maplins) and get a can of ACF50.ACF50 is,"Ronseal++" as it does more than it says on the tin and goes a long way if correctly applied.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm

Buy from local motorcycle shop or usually cheaper on-line,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACF-50-Mot...IAAOSwdjNZCEQT

Then pull apart any electrical connectors your work is allowing you access to checking for corrosion and remove with tiny screwdriver wrapped with a bit of 500 grit paper is required.(Especially the large one near the head-stock) and spray with Switch cleaner,let evaporate and then sparingly spray ACF50 into male and female sides of the connectors and also where the wires go INTO the connectors.

This will ensure you have very few electrical breakdowns at these points.When you have time remove rear fairing and do one of the most important ones like this e.g the Regulator/Rectifier connector and clean any debris from the heat sink fins.This large connector is one of the most frequently overlooked causes of R/R failures due to lack of electrical maintenance.

Since doing electrical servicing on motorcycles like this I've not had a major electrical fault in over 13 years.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 20-09-17 at 02:20 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-17, 02:29 PM   #17
kazputin

Nice one, was looking at picking up some ACF50 for general use, so will definitely give the electrics a once over whilst I've got the tools out. Cheers!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 23-09-17, 05:31 PM   #18
Heorot

According to the manual, it's a 17ltr tank so, if you are putting 12lt in each time, you have a generous leeway. I do what Biker Biggles suggested and am getting around 50 - 54 mpg. My riding is 50/50 fast A road and driving around Norwich.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 06:09 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

40-45mpg sounds about right but could be better. one thing that will kill mpg is sticky brakes and low tyre pressures. sticky brakes is common on the SV.
Bibio is online now   Reply With Quote