SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-07-10, 07:50 PM   #1
cF^

Default MOT due, brake light query

MOT is now due on my bike (K3 Naked) and after a quick inspection I've realised that the brake light switch for the front brake seems slightly dodgy. When slightly depressed the light will come on, but holding the brake down with enough force to do anything results in the brake light going off. Releasing the brake light results in a quick flash as it passes the 'sweet spot' where the light seems to work.
I realise this is most likely an MOT failure (not to mention dangerous) but just wanted to check...?
Rear brake switch works fine.
I'm guessing the switch is knackered, problem is it's part of the same piece of plastic that houses the brake fluid resevoir. Anyone know how I'd go about fixing this/finding a replacement? Anyone had the same problem? Any advice appreciated!
Old 08-07-10, 10:02 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: MOT due, brake light query

It's an MOT failure - and not unusual either.

The switch is held to the underside of the brake lever pivot with a single cross-head screw. Remove the switch and fill it with WD40 or similar and press the switch button a few hundred times - often cleans the crud off the contacts and allows the switch to work properly again.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-10, 10:06 PM   #3
cF^

Thank you!
I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back
Looks like an expensive/complicated part to replace should it be entirely screwed and I've not got time to keep the bike off the road that long!
Old 08-07-10, 10:13 PM   #4
Wizzbangwill

Fiver at a bike shop for a pattern one
Old 09-07-10, 04:26 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Yep, had exactly the same problem with one. The contacts are designed to do a "make and wipe" action, in theory to help keep them clean, but you can get it so that the point where they "make" is clean but the adjacent bit gets burned or cruddy so the light goes off when you pull the brake further. Sid's fix will almost certainly work, otherwise, as said, replacement won't break the bank.
Old 09-07-10, 05:47 PM   #6
cF^

Took it apart, sprayed it with WD40 and it worked! TY very much, this forum beats a haynes manual hands down