SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-09-17, 01:26 PM   #1
kazputin

Default Low fuel efficiency, new rider, what to look for?

Hi all. Picked up a 2005 pointy (I think!) SV650S couple of weeks ago. Since then I've fuelled up 3 times now, each time putting in about 12l and reading about 110-120m on the trip. This seems low, at about 38mpg... Admittedly I'm new, so probably not the smoothest, and am commuting with only a "decent" ride once a week. Does this sound about right? No obvious leaks or anything, and I'm not too heavy (80kg)... Should I start reading the Haynes manual or not?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 19-09-17, 02:23 PM   #2
glang

Default Re: Low fuel efficiency, new rider, what to look for?

Hi, that does seem low although my calculation seems to come out a bit better than yours. Its a bit unusual as new riders normally get better consumption to start with (~60mpg) as they take it easy however I know riding in cities can drastically affect this with the drag starts at each set of lights.
Some questions: is the bike modified in anyway, what does you temperature indicator show, does the exhaust smell rich?
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-17, 03:57 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

As glang said, 12 litres in 110 - 120 miles is between 42 and 45mpg. That's not too bad if you're doing mostly city riding with lots of stop-start traffic work.

By comparison, my K6 S will give 55 - 60mpg, but that is purely open-road riding of at least 60 to 70 miles at a time with almost no town work.

If you've only had the bike a couple of weeks, it is worth checking the air filter, spark plugs and oil etc to make sure they're all fresh unless you know 100% that all of these service items were new / checked recently by someone reputable when you bought the bike.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-17, 04:07 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

As above and also these engines do not like to be laboured in low revs.Even in town traffic try and keep the revs above 3500 rpm.From what I researched before buying my SV650 their efficiency improves above these low revs.

My Naked Curvy has had over 60 Mpg(UK) and as low as 52 Mpg(UK) with spirited riding and I weigh-in between 12 stones and 12.5 stones.

Last Sunday I hit 149 miles and my low fuel light still hadn't come on(Topped up anyway)

My air filter was in good condition when I got the bike but blew it out with my compressor anyway and always fresh oil and filter and checked and cleaned my spark plugs.

Read the Haynes troubleshooting sections.They can be very useful.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 20-09-17 at 07:57 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-17, 05:50 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I would put a good glug of redex into the fuel tank the next couple of times you fill it up, I normally put twice the recommended amount in to start with to clear any accumulated cr@p out. The check air filter and maybe a new set of plugs if you are not sure of the history of the bike, When you first get a bike or car you need to know where you are starting from, and the only way to do that is to make sure things are replaced (sometimes whether they need it or not) - I have bought 2 to 3 year old cars from main dealers 'with full service history' but what I found was filthy air filters, oil filters rusty on the outside etc. - if those have ever been replaced I am a Dutchman - I always write the date on label on top of any battery I fit as well in permanent ink, nothing worse than not knowing how old the battery is when you buy a bike or car (I know batteries have the date they were made etched on the case somewhere, but who wants to take a a battery out to check the date ?).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-17, 10:32 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I would put a good glug of redex into the fuel tank the next couple of times you fill it up,.
+10.Cures a lot of fuel ills
Old 20-09-17, 06:15 AM   #7
shiftin_gear98

How many miles has your bike travelled?

Mine is a SK6, 43,000. I fill to the brim every time and get around 135 miles out of it. So you seem not too far out. But then mine is long over due a good service. Which it's not really going to get.

You can either work it all out and stress over it, or say **** it. It is what it is and enjoy riding it. Which ever train of thought you prefer - enjoy.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-17, 08:48 AM   #8
Craigg

you checked your tire pressures?

also if you don't know if its been done, i would give it a mini service with a new air filter/spark plugs and fresh oil/filter.

you don't have your location setup in your profile, where about are you?
Craigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-17, 09:09 AM   #9
kazputin

Thumbs up Re: Low fuel efficiency, new rider, what to look for?

Hi all, cheers for the commentS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Some questions: is the bike modified in anyway, what does you temperature indicator show, does the exhaust smell rich?
Bike is a little modified - has a rather loud scorpion end can and a washable air filter (among other cosmetic stuff). Was also self-serviced by the last owner who said he replaced some spark plugs (I have his receipt for them too). Think I'll do a bit of self-service when I get a free weekend and take a look at filters and plugs...

Not sure about rich - I sometimes get a waft that smells a bit fuelly but that could also be the cars around me given I do a lot of riding in traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
As glang said, 12 litres in 110 - 120 miles is between 42 and 45mpg. That's not too bad if you're doing mostly city riding with lots of stop-start traffic work.

By comparison, my K6 S will give 55 - 60mpg, but that is purely open-road riding of at least 60 to 70 miles at a time with almost no town work.

If you've only had the bike a couple of weeks, it is worth checking the air filter, spark plugs and oil etc to make sure they're all fresh unless you know 100% that all of these service items were new / checked recently by someone reputable when you bought the bike.
Okay - I was just googling "10 miles per litre in mpg" and getting 38ish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
As above and also these engines do not like to be laboured in low revs.Even in town traffic try and keep the revs above 3500 rpm.From what I researched before buying my SV650 their efficiency improves above these low revs.

Read the Haynes troubleshooting sections.They can be very useful.
Yeah, took it out for a more open-road ride yesterday evening so I'll see what effect that has on the efficiency (more or less). I'll also keep an eye on revs, think I've been trying to keep it around 3 so might drop down a gear and see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I would put a good glug of redex into the fuel tank the next couple of times you fill it up, I normally put twice the recommended amount in to start with to clear any accumulated cr@p out. The check air filter and maybe a new set of plugs if you are not sure of the history of the bike, When you first get a bike or car you need to know where you are starting from, and the only way to do that is to make sure things are replaced (sometimes whether they need it or not) - I have bought 2 to 3 year old cars from main dealers 'with full service history' but what I found was filthy air filters, oil filters rusty on the outside etc. - if those have ever been replaced I am a Dutchman - I always write the date on label on top of any battery I fit as well in permanent ink, nothing worse than not knowing how old the battery is when you buy a bike or car (I know batteries have the date they were made etched on the case somewhere, but who wants to take a a battery out to check the date ?).
Great advice - think I'll be spending a Saturday in the near future giving it a good work over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
How many miles has your bike travelled?

Mine is a SK6, 43,000. I fill to the brim every time and get around 135 miles out of it. So you seem not too far out. But then mine is long over due a good service. Which it's not really going to get.

You can either work it all out and stress over it, or say **** it. It is what it is and enjoy riding it. Which ever train of thought you prefer - enjoy.
Mine's almost exaclty the same - 42000 or so. I'm still wary of going to far with the flashing fuel light on so push it a bit. I should be able to get about the same as you out of it, so maybe mine just needs a good service too. TBH I'm having so much fun anyway I probably won't worry too much, just sounding out opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigg View Post
you checked your tire pressures?

also if you don't know if its been done, i would give it a mini service with a new air filter/spark plugs and fresh oil/filter.

you don't have your location setup in your profile, where about are you?
They look okay, I'll check them this weekend as that's quick and easy. I'm in Suffolk (Ipswich)...

Sounds like a basic service of filters/fluids/plugs/tyres is on the cards. If I find anything out I'll update this - cheers all for the help! Have to admit even if it's a bit thirsty I'm having tons of fun... Haven't enjoyed going to work so much in years!
Old 20-09-17, 09:16 AM   #10
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazputin View Post

Sounds like a basic service of filters/fluids/plugs/tyres is on the cards. If I find anything out I'll update this - cheers all for the help! Have to admit even if it's a bit thirsty I'm having tons of fun... Haven't enjoyed going to work so much in years!
Fun is the Factor on these bikes
"We are not lost,we are exploring"

"No one a Motorcycle asks,are we there yet"

"Biker's know why dogs stick their heads out of car windows"

"Try leaning your car M8"