SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-03-06, 12:14 PM   #1
FreshAL

Default need fuel tank for '99 SV - will a used one be ok?

I've been having loads of problems with my '99 SV, and it's finally been diagnosed as a kinked drain hose leading to water in the tank.

The garage are saying the only way to fix it is a new fuel tank, at £280

A cheaper 2nd hand one would be great, but is there any way I can find out if it's got the same problem?

cross posted on BCF for those who read both sites
Old 07-03-06, 12:21 PM   #2
andy

Default Re: need fuel tank for '99 SV - will a used one be ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAL
I've been having loads of problems with my '99 SV, and it's finally been diagnosed as a kinked drain hose leading to water in the tank.

The garage are saying the only way to fix it is a new fuel tank, at £280
Eh - rubbish???

If it is a kinked pipe then it is easily viewable and fixable at the back on the tank just under the drivers seat.

I have a spare tank - Y2K blue, but the internal drain pipe has cracked away from the rim of the tank - very difficult to fix properly.
Old 07-03-06, 01:15 PM   #3
Fuzz

So it was water in the tank then. I reckon they are having you on. The drain hose connects form the underside of the tank and follows the bike down and out underneath the rear brake pedal, next to the clutch cover. Lift your tank up and you'll see water come out fom it. You do not need a new tank, you should be able to find the kink and straighten it out.

Quote:
Cheers
Old 07-03-06, 01:29 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz
So it was water in the tank then. I reckon they are having you on. The drain hose connects form the underside of the tank and follows the bike down and out underneath the rear brake pedal, next to the clutch cover. Lift your tank up and you'll see water come out fom it. You do not need a new tank, you should be able to find the kink and straighten it out.

Quote:
Cheers
You are correct, but the pipe runs up inside the tank to where the fuel filler is i believe and this is where i would imagine they are talking about. Im not sure about it being kinked, but broken, or corroded yes. A second hand tink would surfice, however, i wonder if pushing a piece if thin plastic tubing up indise the current hole, then sealing it at the top with sealant would work.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 01:40 PM   #5
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Im not sure about it being kinked, but broken, or corroded yes
If it was broken then you would get petrol ****ing out of the overflow constantly - water in the tank would be the least of your worries!
Old 07-03-06, 06:14 PM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

Try here

Its a simple 5 minute fix and works wonders. Cost is nothing![/url]
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 08:12 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Im not sure about it being kinked, but broken, or corroded yes
If it was broken then you would get petrol p*ssing out of the overflow constantly - water in the tank would be the least of your worries!
Actually no, it often breaks/rusts through quite near the top. As such it may drop a bit of fuel out of the overflow while it's being swilled about - ie when you're riding it, but you won't notice that, unless it's totally brimming with fuel it's not unusual for there to be no fuel loss when the pipe comes adrift.

You will get water in the fuel though, lots of it.

The pipe rusts when water sits in it, this is often caused by the overflow hose connected to the end of it getting kinked, this is most likley what the spanner boys have diagnosed. I'm guessing that a breakdown in/lack of communication has led to this thread.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 03:51 PM   #8
andy

Mine broke right at the top and fuel was ****ing out under braking until the tank was about 3/4 full - took me a while to work out exactly what it was!