SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-10-14, 11:22 PM   #1
Lateralus

Default Bar end thread? Pointy.

I've got a 2011 pointy and the bar end bolt is doing nothing inside the bar. There is something in there floating about but there is no thread and screw contact as the screw can be pushed straight in after wiggling with this floating thing. I have no idea how the bars actually work but is it a thread insert that has come loose? Either way, does this mean a new clip on or will any expanding screw type bar ends fit as the hole is only just big enough for the screw?
Old 02-10-14, 06:40 AM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Bar end thread? Pointy.

There is normally an expanding bolt assemble of some description.
IE several parts that when screwed together ride against and over each other expanding and locking in place.

My guess is that the end part which is the only threaded part has slipped into your bar further than the bolt will reach.
Take everything out of the tube (you may need to take the clip on off to do this) - put it all back together, semi tighten it and put it back in the bar. Then position and fully tighten.

Top tip next time don't unscrew the bolt completely..

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 02-10-14 at 06:41 AM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 09:56 AM   #3
Lateralus

I have no idea how it happened as this is how I bought it - with a loose bar end. I just had a look and I can see no way of removing any of the insides.
Old 02-10-14, 11:53 AM   #4
Shawthing

Should be internally as shown in link:

http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemp...r-with-cowling

There should be a long tube around the countersunk screw down to an expanding rubber bung wiht a nut on the back.

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 05:36 PM   #5
DaveW_42

Try taking the bolt out of the bar end you have and see if that'll reach the threaded part inside the bar. If it does, wind it in a couple of turns and give it a tug. Will save you having to dismantle the bars to get it out. The threaded bit is mounted inside a rubber grommet and the whole thing expands when you tighten it and grips the inside if the bar. If you just tighten it a bit, it shouuld still be ok to pull out.
That was on a k4 though...
Old 02-10-14, 07:43 PM   #6
Lateralus

Fixed it cheers guys! Had to give it a fair bit of welly with some pliers and it all fell out. The nut at the very end was floating about.