SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-12, 04:53 PM   #11
suzukigt380paul

Default Re: Triunph Street Triple - 2007+ - What about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
cant seem to find lots of stories..?
your not loking in the right place then,this problem first came to light on the bandit forum i believe it was when a young chap on there with his daytona had to go back to wales to pick his bike up after repair and we all asked what the hell have you done to your low milage unthrashed triumph the reply we got back as best i can remember was that he had just had a new or very repaired engine put in as the conrod was sticking out of the crankcase and on looking on one of the triumph forums this apears to not be a one off ill have a look on the net and find the forums its on,also on a slightly different tangent if triumph got it right the first time then why do they sell racing crankbearing shells and oil pumps for the street triple!
Some info on engine problems can be found on triumph675.net and type in conrod problems, but this was not the search/site i found the other crankshaft problems on before which had a dozen or so peoples problems with spun shells and broken conrods on

Last edited by suzukigt380paul; 01-05-12 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-05-12, 04:56 PM   #12
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythe92 View Post
, however street triple's can be insured for only £100 more than my SV, winner!
ve-he-herry interesssting

Last edited by Dave20046; 01-05-12 at 04:58 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 06:09 PM   #13
Girth
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukigt380paul View Post
they seem a good bike but lots of stories of conrod failure out there on the net,and the problem seems to be oil a shell bearing related and normaly the first sign you know about it is when there is a rod sticking out of the crankcase,although no doubt every one on here with a high milage street will have had no problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukigt380paul View Post
your not loking in the right place then,this problem first came to light on the bandit forum i believe it was when a young chap on there with his daytona had to go back to wales to pick his bike up after repair and we all asked what the hell have you done to your low milage unthrashed triumph the reply we got back as best i can remember was that he had just had a new or very repaired engine put in as the conrod was sticking out of the crankcase and on looking on one of the triumph forums this apears to not be a one off ill have a look on the net and find the forums its on,also on a slightly different tangent if triumph got it right the first time then why do they sell racing crankbearing shells and oil pumps for the street triple!
Some info on engine problems can be found on triumph675.net and type in conrod problems, but this was not the search/site i found the other crankshaft problems on before which had a dozen or so peoples problems with spun shells and broken conrods on
FFS give it a rest with all this ****e. I work in a triumph dealership and have never seen any of these problems you mention, we have sold more than enough streets and daytonas so rather that going off hearsay, take it from someone who truly see's what problems these bikes have ( coincidentally none of what you have mentioned) there probably is accreditation isolated cases but didn't k3 svs have crank/conrod issues, do you post the same whenever anyone mentions buying a sv?!?!?.

Last edited by Girth; 01-05-12 at 06:30 PM.
Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 06:35 PM   #14
Amplimator

I had a standard street triple for a couple of years (found the R model too harsh). Bluddy brilliant bike, great motor, plenty of grunt, looks and sounds great and good build quality all round. Test ride both the R and standard model everyones different.

There is isolated cases of engine failures not just on street triples but every bike available today. You would have to be bloody unlucky to have a motor let go on a Street Triple!
Old 01-05-12, 06:43 PM   #15
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
FFS give it a rest with all this ****e. I work in a triumph dealership and have never seen any of these problems you mention, we have sold more than enough streets and daytonas so rather that going off hearsay, take it from someone who truly see's what problems these bikes have ( coincidentally none of what you have mentioned) there probably is accreditation isolated cases but didn't k3 svs have Conrad issues!?!?.
one more and i shut up.the only triumph that comes up with problems on the triumph forums is the street triple,and of course now adays most(not all)bikes do feck all miles,if you go in your local bike shop and look at second hand bikes most will be under 10 years old and are unlikely to have more then 15k on the clocks and if it less then 2years old most will have hardly been run in,and its quite easy to find bikes in the showroom with less then 1000 miles on the clocks so it may take longer for problems to turn up,and we all know bikes have small problems along there life time some more then others,some caused by poor maintainance,but rarely needing a replacement engines under warranty apart from the reported problems on the steet triple,mind you i did hear of 2 street triples not lasting being test for bike mags but this may be more myth then fact
Old 01-05-12, 06:59 PM   #16
happysv

Daytona convert here and coming from an sv the Daytona was so smooth and brakes that stop you on a 6 pence.
Only went into the shop to look for a 125 for the daughter and once I saw the Daytona I booked a test ride and bought one.
It's got good low down grunt of the twin and the high revving band of a 4 cylinder.
Mpg is around 42 on my 30 mile commute.
Diag software is free of the net just need a vag 16pin lead off eBay for £7.
Can remap yourself with the above lead when you fit cans etc.
Servicing every 6k.
Brakes on the std street are similar to the sv's and the R ones are as per Daytona ie awesome.
Hth Ian
happysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12, 07:00 PM   #17
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplimator View Post
I had a standard street triple for a couple of years (found the R model too harsh). Bluddy brilliant bike, great motor, plenty of grunt, looks and sounds great and good build quality all round. Test ride both the R and standard model everyones different.

There is isolated cases of engine failures not just on street triples but every bike available today. You would have to be bloody unlucky to have a motor let go on a Street Triple!
Yep me too, had the standard for about 18 months. Brilliant motor has as been stated, had modified suspension, new springs and a racetech rear shock. To be frank I still found that when winding up that motor, and believe me, it encourages you too, I still found the bike too skittish for my liking. Maybe something to do with with both me and the bike weighed in, it still only weighs as much as a bag of crisps, but I found it unnerving.

Thre were rectifier 'issues' on the earlier models, mine was an 07, but i think those have now been addressed by Triumph.

Just my 2p's worth.
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 06:08 AM   #18
shonadoll

Had my str for two years, 10,000 miles, never missed a beat. Never heard of any of these failures either, even on the street triple forum. Have heard of the rectifier issue. One case of it happening and some hearsay about bike mag testers failing do not a problem make, in my opinion.

Great bikes.
Old 02-05-12, 07:26 AM   #19
Teejayexc

Rectififier issues from those that should know, the owners,

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32919
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-12, 07:42 PM   #20
Bri w

The Con Rod story... A search reveals that a Daytona owner picking up his bike from the dealers, post service, spotted a SPEED triple with a con rod sticking thro' the crank case. The bike in question had done TWO miles. Not sure that constitutes a weak engine or, in reality, a faulty component straight from the box.

Searching further didn't bring up anything other than the above...

As an aside, the same engine with a longer stroke is used in the Tiger 800. I can't see a manufacturer using a dodgy engine in another bike and risking further damage to its reputation - assuming the original story about dodgy Street Triple engines is true.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote