SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-01-08, 04:49 AM   #1
xtrm

Default 06 sv650s clutch issues

my '06 sv650s was in the bed of the truck when, somebody decided to do a burn out with my bike in the truck. when i unloaded the bike, the clutch was slipping like crazy, so i adjusted the clutch, which worked, but i messed up the screw. while waiting for the new one to come in i used a temporary bolt in its place, which also worked perfectly fine. when i got the new screw/nut, and installed it, just minutes after riding my bike with the temp. bolt, it no longer will work...just slips again. I've tried adjusting it many times, even using the previous bolt. most people seem to think that my clutch is burned up, but i can't see one burn out ruinied a clutch in a bike with 3100miles on it

any opinions would be greatly appreciated...i'm trying to figure this out as soon as possible because i have someone coming to buy the bike saturday :X
Old 30-01-08, 08:53 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: 06 sv650s clutch issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrm View Post
my '06 sv650s was in the bed of the truck when, somebody decided to do a burn out with my bike in the truck. when i unloaded the bike, the clutch was slipping like crazy, so i adjusted the clutch, which worked, but i messed up the screw. while waiting for the new one to come in i used a temporary bolt in its place, which also worked perfectly fine. when i got the new screw/nut, and installed it, just minutes after riding my bike with the temp. bolt, it no longer will work...just slips again. I've tried adjusting it many times, even using the previous bolt. most people seem to think that my clutch is burned up, but i can't see one burn out ruinied a clutch in a bike with 3100miles on it

any opinions would be greatly appreciated...i'm trying to figure this out as soon as possible because i have someone coming to buy the bike saturday :X
Get the idiot that did the burnout to pay for a new clutch to be fitted.

Simple really

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-08, 08:58 AM   #3
Stig

Yup. I'd say you have no clutch plates left. Take the clutch out and look at the plates. I have a feeling your not going to like what you see. Hope the burnout fella is putting his hand in his pocket right now for you.
Old 30-01-08, 12:15 PM   #4
YZEtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrm View Post
most people seem to think that my cl burned up, but i can't see one burn out ruinied a clutch in a bike with 3100miles on it

So, does this mean the clutch absolutely, no way, no how slips with the temporary bolt in place no matter how long or hard you ride it?

Why can't a clutch be burned up after someone tries to force the rear wheel to break traction and spin in too high a gear?
I could happen to a bike fresh off the showroom floor with half a mile on the odometer.
All it take is for someone to do it.

If you get to the point (sounds like you are already there, actually) of where no matter how many times you twiddle with the clutch push screw down below and the clutch cable slack adjuster up high you still have a slipping clutch, well, ain't it a strange coincidence that you started having this problem after one of your friends did this burnout?

If I had a slipping clutch and were going to be selling the bike in a few days, I'd either fix it before the day came (most likely) or thoroughly inform the buyer of it's condition.
Old 30-01-08, 12:26 PM   #5
Keith1983

im presuming the bike isnt still under warranty? even so noobhead that did the big burnout on your bike wants to be paying for it, if he wont take him to the small claims court.
Old 30-01-08, 01:13 PM   #6
Stig

I'm guessing that during the burnout the clutch was not fully disengaged. Effectively dragging the clutch at seriously high speeds. That'll fry a clutch in no time at all very effectively.
Old 30-01-08, 03:56 PM   #7
xtrm

alright thanks guys...the sad part is nobody knows who did the burn out with my bike..i was 1300miles away when it happened....just the marks in the bed of the truck to show...ohhh well i guess. i guess i just couldnt comprehend how it started slipping, i adjusted it, it was fine, then 1week later i take it for a ride, park it, change the screw and bam it's slipping again. just in denial i guess..haha.

Last edited by xtrm; 30-01-08 at 04:01 PM.