SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-08, 08:28 PM   #1
jammin32

Default SV650S K2 running issues

Hi was just wondering if anyone could help I purchased a Sv650S in May this year have had no problems with it until the last couple of weeks when riding to work it has started to cut out when you change down the gearbox and hold the clutch in. It has been fouling the front spark plug and smells like it is running rich. It seems that the front carb is constantly dripping even when on idle where as the back one doesn't. Does anyone know if there are any problems with carb's on SV's K2.
Old 12-12-08, 08:35 PM   #2
rusty2433

Default Re: SV650S K2 running issues

hi
i have been having a similar problem i just put it down to being cold in the mornings, i probably run without the choke too quickly. Also last time i ran in the rain or should i say downpour it kept cutting out. any suggestions??
Old 12-12-08, 08:46 PM   #3
JamoSV650s

mine does this to, but i would put it down to old plugs if not changed and water getting in the front plug
Old 13-12-08, 07:14 AM   #4
jammin32

Have replaced plugs, air filter and oil/filter in the summer.
Old 13-12-08, 08:47 AM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Go into the forum search function and check choke plungers,wet plugs and carb icing.
Old 13-12-08, 08:52 AM   #6
petevtwin650

Fit a fender extender, if not already fitted.

Could be carb icing. Buy an additive called Pro FST and add according to instructions or some people swear by using the more expensive unleaded.

Or could be the choke plungers sticking, especially as the front one is particularly prone to this.
Old 13-12-08, 07:56 PM   #7
rusty2433

will try shell super unleaded first see if that works , then will try pro fst stuff
Old 13-12-08, 08:57 PM   #8
embee
Mega Poster

Everything says sticking choke plunger.

To do the front one you really need to remove the carbs, it's not impossible without but near enough.

If the retaining screw won't shift (likely) first add penetrating oil, second put a crosshead screwdriver/bit in the screw and tap gently with a small hammer. Make sure it is the correct crosshead (aka phillips) bit, not a pozidrive (crosshead/phillips is a plain cross, pozidrive has extra nibs in the corners, and the angles are different so don't fit the wrong screw heads).

It's best to use a bit in a socket set wrench if possible, usually easier to get good purchase on the screw without it chewing. If it does start to chew up, gently tap the screwhead back down with the hammer and tap the bit back into the recess to reform the cross.

Lube the cable and plungers. It's common to see white crusty corrosion where the cable meets the plunger.
Old 13-12-08, 11:38 PM   #9
jammin32

Thanks for the advice will check choke plungers next
Old 16-12-08, 07:58 PM   #10
wright7129

Hi I only got my sv back in april which is the same year as yours. I have found out the same problem with mine. I believe its the carb that is icing up. I looked on the forum and most people recomend using silkolene pro fst and using shell v power super unleaded. I leave for work around 4 each morning and the problem has not happened since so give it a go and i would also consider getting a fender extender to stop water going on to engine and front spark plug.