SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-12-09, 10:10 PM   #1
Jynx

Default Alternator gone?

I got out on the bike again today, has been stood for a few days. I put some redex in now it's running well and took it for a burn. Was running like crap and before long the lights started to dim and it got worse :S Limped to my mates house and stole the battery from his ZX7 and managed to get home with that but the same thing happened, bike died 200 yards from my house.

Have worked through the workshop manual and can confirm I have the correct resistances for the coils but when I run the bike I am only getting millivolts from it, not the 60v the manual says I should.

Is this confirmed as a dead alternator? I guess it sounds pretty convincing but I really don't want to get in there and change it if it's not! Looking at the workshop book it's a hard job to do without the right tools - any advice?

Also any suggestions on where to get an alternator?

Thanks,

Jynx
Old 10-12-09, 10:44 PM   #2
Jynx

Default Re: Alternator gone?

Ok..... so I'm an idiot....

Top tip - when you measure the output on an alternator remember, unlike every other part of the bike, that bit is AC! And I have a degree in this kinda crap :P

Ok so alternator is producing good voltage, guess I need to check further up the chain.
Old 10-12-09, 10:50 PM   #3
petevtwin650

Reg/Rec usually a good place to start.
Old 13-12-09, 09:37 PM   #4
Jynx

Yeah new regulator from scrappy and all running again