SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-07-12, 10:26 PM   #1
basilyoung

Default my alternator is very likely deceased

hello you lot, got a W reg sv, but its off road at the mo, it looks like the alternator is clapped out, its just killed my third battery, RAC tested for a charge, and there was,nt any

how easy is it to replace, and where would I find a new/second hand alternator, or a local expert ( also timing chain rattles on tick over after a run out )

I have read through a few post, but it seemed to go off thread, so thought I would start my own thread, thanks in advance for any help or tips

I am reasonbly caperble, and have a good tool kit ( I am a machine setter )

the bike does have a "data" imoborlizer, and live near Chester ( north east wales )

Last edited by basilyoung; 15-07-12 at 10:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 16-07-12, 10:38 AM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: my alternator is very likely deceased

The alternator produces the power, (~80V AC) and the regulator/rectifier brings that to DC voltage at around 13V.

So if you're getting no power, the first thing is to take the 3 wires from the altenator and check if, when the engine's running, you're getting AC voltage, then check if the Reg/Rec is doing a decent job of converting that to something usable.

Do a search on here for charging circuit test. You'll find the numbers. In cars the rectifier and alternator are often built into the same component, so you'd swap the whole thing out in one hit more often than not.

Jambo
Old 16-07-12, 11:01 AM   #3
daveyrach

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilyoung View Post
hello you lot, got a W reg sv, but its off road at the mo, it looks like the alternator is clapped out, its just killed my third battery, RAC tested for a charge, and there was,nt any

how easy is it to replace, and where would I find a new/second hand alternator, or a local expert ( also timing chain rattles on tick over after a run out )

I have read through a few post, but it seemed to go off thread, so thought I would start my own thread, thanks in advance for any help or tips

I am reasonbly caperble, and have a good tool kit ( I am a machine setter )

the bike does have a "data" imoborlizer, and live near Chester ( north east wales )
I had a similar issue, bike died when I pulled up to some traffic lights, called the RAC as it was completely dead, they came out jumped the bike and charged the battery. The guy tested the alternator for out put and proceeded to tell me exactly the same as they have told you. I was skeptical as bike alternators are pretty reliable even after 10years or so.

I asked the question on here and was told how to check the voltage myself to find the alternator was putting out ~80+ volts but the reg/rec was receiving the voltage but not sending any to the battery, cost me £40 to fix with a new reg/rec.

I think the RAC tend not to know what they are doing with bikes after asking how to test on here I found he was testing from the wrong place anyway.
Old 16-07-12, 12:14 PM   #4
Terah

I had similar problems which turned out to be the reg / rec.

Have a look at http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=177418 - in the second post flymo posted a link to the troubleshooting guide which should help.
Old 16-07-12, 05:20 PM   #5
speedyandypandy

Reg/rec brings a bad name to b|itches. Changed 1 a few years ago