SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-11-05, 10:02 PM   #1
Brand New

Default stoopid sparkplugs.

Hello all,
I've tried the 'search' function on this forum and even looked at the 'how-to' section but to no avail, any of you petrol-heads know how to change the sparkplugs?
I apologise if this info is right under my nose but I can't see it!
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-05, 10:08 PM   #2
MavUK

Default Re: stoopid sparkplugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New
Hello all,
I've tried the 'search' function on this forum and even looked at the 'how-to' section but to no avail, any of you petrol-heads know how to change the sparkplugs?
I apologise if this info is right under my nose but I can't see it!
Thanks for your help.
With lots of swearing and cursing

Top cyliner (below the seat) isn't an issue. Just use your sparkplug socket (with tje rubber ring to support the plug) to pick it up.

The front is the same just takes more attempts.

Oh, and I didn't find practice helped Sorry...

Stu
Old 12-11-05, 10:09 PM   #3
Carsick

you'll need to pivot the radiator forward. put some cardboad behind it where your hand goes cos it doesn't take much to damage the fins.
Old 12-11-05, 10:49 PM   #4
wheelnut

Tis a piece of **** :P You have to slacken the top mounts of the rad, undo the bottom bolt and use the suzuki plug spanner, if its an S you have to pull the top fairing away from the radiator as there are rubber plugs on the mountings, It is not as difficult to do as it is to write it on a computer.

The last time I did mine I did manage to use a halfords socket set but the cheap oe spanner works ok

I forgot to mention to remove the 10mm bolt holding the horn bracket
Old 13-11-05, 01:43 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

If you don't have the suzuki plug spanner, it's an unspeakable b****** But with it, it's pretty straightforward. Do what these guys have told you But be careful putting the front plug back, it's fairly retricted access and you'll have the seat the seal right or you'll get the Dreaded SV Front Cylinder Cutout tm
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-05, 10:50 PM   #6
tomjones2

without the suzuki sparkplug spanner its real difficult, my solution was to use a normal spark plug spanner and tape it (with great difficulty) on to the extention shaft on the wrench. i got really feed up of pulling the socket out and leaving the spark plug socket in the hole.

Has anyone got any good tips for removing all the corrosion that surronds the old spark plug, i didnt want it going into the cylinder so i put the hover down there - anyone got better ideas or is is not a problem
Old 15-11-05, 12:25 AM   #7
BURNER

TBH I've never given the little bit of rust any thought.

I can't remember which spark plug tool I used last, not the one in the Sv toolkit that's fer sure. I kept the rear plug as a spare that I carry on the bike.
Front plug was quit nasty with rust after only 4000 miles.
Old 17-11-05, 02:51 PM   #8
silent

is it a 10mm spark plug spanner...as i need to get one as i do not have the tool kit....cheers!
Old 18-11-05, 12:36 PM   #9
iprideaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent
is it a 10mm spark plug spanner...as i need to get one as i do not have the tool kit....cheers!
Yes. I also use a 2" extension piece to get right down into the cylinder head. Any longer and you can't get to the front plug because the radiator gets in the way.