SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-05-08, 06:01 PM   #1
drag

Default Possible electrical fault

Bit of a long story so i'll do my best to keep it short.

Made the following changes recently

New fork springs + oil, rear shock + new rear sub frame,new under tray.

Now, while most of this work was being done, the batter way out, so we had no power what so ever, and the bike was up on two stands, front and back.

we've reattached every thing exactally as it was, bar the brake calipers, there currently not connected.

Reconnected the battery, and turned on the ignition, and she lights the dash up, even the alarm works perfectly, light turn on , both heads and dips, but when i push the button to start the iginition, we get nothing, zip, zero, not even an attempted turn over, total silence, so i've checked the fuses to see if the ignition fuse was gone, it's ok.#

The only other thing we did was remove the side stand during the rear shock installation, but it's back on now and fine.

My though's are leading me to the fact that maybe it wont fire up as it's on the stands ? what say you org have i got a big problem on my hands ?
Old 06-05-08, 06:07 PM   #2
petevtwin650

Default Re: Possible electrical fault

I'll be the one to state the obvious, You are pulling the clutch lever in?

Sounds like it could be one of the safety switches. Or you need to reset your alarm.
Old 06-05-08, 06:11 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post

Sounds like it could be one of the safety switches. Or you need to reset your alarm.
Yup. Have a check if coils have voltage, that'll tell you whether it's cut out circuits or the starter safeties.
Old 06-05-08, 06:20 PM   #4
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
I'll be the one to state the obvious, You are pulling the clutch lever in?

Lol, yes pete i'm pulling in the clutch ...not sure how to reset the alarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Yup. Have a check if coils have voltage, that'll tell you whether it's cut out circuits or the starter safeties.
is that easy to do ? i have no idea...*reaches for haynes*
Old 06-05-08, 06:33 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

It does sound like the safety circuit ... ok, so you are pulling the clutch in, but are the wires put back on the little leaver switch ok!?!?
Old 06-05-08, 06:39 PM   #6
drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
It does sound like the safety circuit ... ok, so you are pulling the clutch in, but are the wires put back on the little leaver switch ok!?!?

the right bunch of comedians ehh , dont think any wires were d/c from the lever's when were were taking her apart
Old 06-05-08, 06:50 PM   #7
lookskyward1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag View Post
the right bunch of comedians ehh , dont think any wires were d/c from the lever's when were were taking her apart
It is easy to knock the clutch switch connector off when working on the bike.

It may be worth checking the sidestand switch plugs were properly attached when re-building the bike.
Old 06-05-08, 07:00 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookskyward1 View Post
It is easy to knock the clutch switch connector off when working on the bike.
Indeed, sometimes it is the most simple things that can be overlooked .. like this and the kill switch being knocked to the off position too ... we have ALL been there and done that with the Kill switch at some point or another

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookskyward1 View Post
It may be worth checking the sidestand switch plugs were properly attached when re-building the bike.
Presuming it is in neutral, that shouldn't stop it starting ..

its most likely the clutch or killswitch safety circuits ... if it is not, then time to have a look at things like the starter motor main strap/cable.
Old 06-05-08, 08:58 PM   #9
drag

Ok im betting it's the clutch safety switch so, as the side stand switch is only active when the bike is in gear and the stand is down, she wont start, and it's not in gear, there a good chance, we knocked out the connector behind the clutch lever, during the work on the forks, or the clutch switch diode, it may have come loose during the install of the new sub frame

it'll be tomorrow night by the time i get to look
Old 07-05-08, 04:02 PM   #10
andy1505

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag View Post
Bit of a long story so i'll do my best to keep it short.

Made the following changes recently

New fork springs + oil, rear shock + new rear sub frame,new under tray.

Now, while most of this work was being done, the batter way out, so we had no power what so ever, and the bike was up on two stands, front and back.

we've reattached every thing exactally as it was, bar the brake calipers, there currently not connected.

Reconnected the battery, and turned on the ignition, and she lights the dash up, even the alarm works perfectly, light turn on , both heads and dips, but when i push the button to start the iginition, we get nothing, zip, zero, not even an attempted turn over, total silence, so i've checked the fuses to see if the ignition fuse was gone, it's ok.#

The only other thing we did was remove the side stand during the rear shock installation, but it's back on now and fine.

My though's are leading me to the fact that maybe it wont fire up as it's on the stands ? what say you org have i got a big problem on my hands ?

Hi,

Have you checked the 10amp in-line fuse for the alarm??? I have had the same issue with my datatool alarm, everything works except starting of the bike. Hope you get it fixed??

Regards

Andy