SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 02-11-10, 04:53 PM   #51
Specialone

Default Re: My new bike workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Cheers Phil, similarly, you'll get help with the labouring for your games room, when the time comes.

One of the homeworkers in Mawsley has built a similar kind of log cabin/super shed in his garden, but he put a proper tiled roof the same as his house on it. I pointed it out to a neighbour and commented that I would like something like that when we bought a house and he told me that he's being told to take it down because it's been deemed as a permanent structure without planning permission, this was confirmed by a few others that were standing nearby in the bar. The thought is that if he'd left a felt tile roof, they wouldn't have seen it as being "permanent", but the proper roof has taken it past just being a shed. It could be untrue though, you know how villagers like to gossip in the pub.
Col, its the size tbh not what you use to construct it with, anything in the garden, inc conservatory is classed as temporary or uninhabitable building.
Tiled roof is perfectly ok as long as its within the garden building sizes,
What Dan said on his is what solihull use for their guidelines more or less.

People you see knocking through into their conservatories and using them as kitchens or whatever are breaking planning laws, there MUST be exterior doors and windows seperating the house from a temporary building.

Last edited by Specialone; 02-11-10 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:56 PM   #52
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedplay View Post
Are you up at mawsley village then Col?
You're getting Alzheimer's!

Warning me all about the villager's webbed fingers and feet not ring a bell?
Old 02-11-10, 04:58 PM   #53
speedplay

well theres the new village (that looks like toy town) and the old one...
Old 02-11-10, 05:00 PM   #54
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

not readthe whole thing but double doors wudda been handy . and a turntable.. and did you have to hand ball all that material to the build area from the front??

streewwwth !
Old 02-11-10, 05:02 PM   #55
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Col, its the size tbh not what you use to construct it with, anything in the garden, inc conservatory is classed as temporary or uninhabitable building.
Tiled roof is perfectly ok as long as its within the garden building sizes,
What Dan said on his is what solihull use for their guidelines more or less.

People you see knocking through into their conservatories and using them as kitchens or whatever are breaking planning laws, there MUST be exterior doors and windows seperating the house from a temporary building.
I'm going to have to re-learn all this stuff when I buy a house then.

Completely different in Scotland, a conservatory needs to meet building regs, have planning permission, have the electrics checked and passed, and be passed by building control and issued with a habitation certificate.

I was even supposed to build a disabled ramp up to the front door, because I had destroyed the original ramp to the back door (all new houses in Scotland have 32" doors), but the buildings inspector forgot to check it and I kept my mouth shut.

Had my garage been brick built, not pre-fab concrete, it would have needed planning permission too (which would have been rejected due to the size of the garage and the percentage of land it took up), a standard sized single garage would still have needed planning permission, but it would have been granted as quite a few neighbours had already done it.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 02-11-10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 05:03 PM   #56
-Ralph-

Quote:
Didn't know that, I'm in the new one, where's the old one?
Old 02-11-10, 05:05 PM   #57
speedplay

Quote:
Didn't know that, I'm in the new one, where's the old one?

Muppet.

I was the project manager on the nursery, shops and offices right at the top end.
Old 02-11-10, 05:09 PM   #58
Specialone

Quote:
I'm going to have to re-learn all this stuff when I buy a house then.

Completely different in Scotland, a conservatory needs to meet building regs, have planning permission, have the electrics checked and passed, and be passed by building control and issued with a habitation certificate.

I was even supposed to build a disabled ramp up to the front door, because I had destroyed the original ramp to the back door (all new houses in Scotland have 32" doors), but the buildings inspector forgot to check it and I kept my mouth shut.
Some areas do need planning permission, if you dont project from the house greater than 4m and dont exceed a certain width (cant remember exactly) then you dont have to involve the Building control.
I know this because i always get customers to call their local BCO and ask before i order anything and last one i did was 3 months ago.
They are still classed as temporary buildings otherwise insulation and conservation of energy would apply and you know conservatories are about as thermally efficient as a paper bag with a hole in it.
Old 02-11-10, 05:10 PM   #59
-Ralph-

Quote:
Quote:
Muppet
No denying that, but I'm serious, where is the "old" Mawsley? I thought the new village was built on a green field site, and the nearest traditional villages were Old and Great Cransley?
Old 02-11-10, 05:11 PM   #60
speedplay

looks like part of the new site was built on the old looking at the ariel pics.

Was only a few stupid houses anyway.