SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-12-04, 08:44 AM   #1
snoopy

Default The BMC race filter

Got my BMC race filter and 165 dynojets fitted. The smile on my face is still to appear as it needs tweaking. Appear to have lost torque (rich?).

Anyway I thought I had the wrong filter - the race version comes with a snorkled top??? at least mine does. Says "race" on the box but I can't help but wonder.

Are tank spacers required with the BMC? I know its a problem with the K&N. Also, is it a problem that the snorkle head is too close to the tank or the airbox is restricting air intake when it is up there snug under the tank?
Old 02-12-04, 11:06 AM   #2
Mike1234

Default Sigh!

Quote:
Anyway I thought I had the wrong filter - the race version comes with a snorkled top??? at least mine does. Says "race" on the box but I can't help but wonder.
Sigh!

Go and read some of the previous threads comparing the BMC Race with the BMC Race RS filter. Unless you've got the Race RS then 165 jets will be too rich.
Old 02-12-04, 12:35 PM   #3
snoopy

Oh no!
Old 02-12-04, 01:00 PM   #4
Craig

Check if you have the race, it sounds like it (JHS Kit)!

Did the kit come with 2 jet sizes 165 and 170?

I tried both of those sizes, and found it still to be running lean (15 parts air : 1 fuel. Should be 12 : 1).

The smile finally appeared when I put in 180 mains. I have peak power of 72.9 bhp at the rear wheel

If in doubt find you nearest dyno centre and get a air fuel run done, usually costs £25.

Good luck
Old 02-12-04, 01:50 PM   #5
Mike1234

Quote:
Check if you have the race, it sounds like it (JHS Kit)!
The Race isn't part of the JHS kit! The Race RS is!
Old 02-12-04, 03:07 PM   #6
snoopy

Mike's right. Bloody BMC naming everything race. Now its going to cost another £55 as I can't return. I'm not putting the original jets in.

Worked out mpg today. I'm getting 23mpg! (ish)
Old 02-12-04, 04:33 PM   #7
snoopy

Ok the Race version is for sale in Sales n Wants. I'll have to order a RS. *sulk*.
Old 02-12-04, 04:58 PM   #8
Mike1234

Default Doh!

Don't worry it took me three or four attempts to get it right. Even the bloody importer managed to pick the wrong one off the shelf a couple of times, and that was once they'd got the paperwork right!
Old 02-12-04, 07:12 PM   #9
snoopy

Since the standard BMC RACE probably wont sell I'd have been better off buying the £90 jet kit from rene.

I also ran out of petrol today. No low-petrol lights . My SV seems to do this in heavy condensation. Ran out next to a morrisons then realised I'd left wallet and mobile at home. Pushed her into the garage, filled up and did the old '****, ive forgot my wallet' job.
Old 02-12-04, 08:14 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

No you wouldn't, the Rene kit for the carbed bike's not up to much, IMHO... Even with the tank spacers it was less effective than the stock filter on my bike. If you want the noise, then it's great, but if you want power, look elsewhere.

If you're sure you'll not be able to sell the Race, try desnorkelling it... Since I suspect that the actual filter part will be exactly the same. The part number for the RS is 205/10, and there seems to be one on Ebay just now, advertised as a Race.

I just got my Race RS the other day courtesy of 21Quest, fitted it and discovered the true meaning of the term "running lean"- ie, I'm doing 50 on a dual, go to overtake a truck in a not very big gap, and when I crack the throttle instead of going rrRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! and firing me, as if from a cannon, past the truck, the engine goes rrrrrr-r-r-r-r-pppp--r-r-r-r and I slow down. So that didn't last long, back on the stock filter again for now.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote