SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-12-18, 03:15 PM   #141
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
This cannot be true. Cameron is advising May on Brexit options.

I suppose it goes like this:
"resign and let someone else sort it out, it worked for me."

Do you remember when Cameron said: "Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband"

That worked out well.

I guess we got a compromise, Chaos with Cameron, Madness with May...what's next Lunacy with Leadsom or Battiness with Boris? (Communism with Corbyn...I'm on a roll with this alliteration)
How about sanity with Starmer?
Sooner or later the grown ups will return home and the children will be sent to bed after the spanking they so desperately deserve.
Old 18-12-18, 03:34 PM   #142
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
This cannot be true. Cameron is advising May on Brexit options.
Well one paper says so. Another says it was nothing but a courtesy text message.

And what difference does it make really?
Old 18-12-18, 04:03 PM   #143
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The fact is that in 2015 parliament voted 544-53 in favour of holding the referendum, Cameron merely proposed that we should have one, if parliament had voted it down it would not have happened.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-18, 04:28 PM   #144
SV650rules
Mega Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqEn...ature=youtu.be

It all becomes clearer now - the EU 'elite' are conniving with their 'elite' pals in UK to knock the whole thing on the head....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 18-12-18, 04:46 PM   #145
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
I don't believe history will treat Cameron well...
We can hope so. He deserves it.

But May has already demonstrated she's quite capable of messing it up all by herself.
Old 19-12-18, 12:21 AM   #146
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Don't know where the cancelling a50 rumours came from, the Beano is not, and never was considered a credible news source.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HpoYs1...2878&version=3
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 08:14 AM   #147
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post

I skimmed through this...a lot of Scottish accents obviously the SNP are unhappy because they represent a majority of Scots who want to leave and, to me, it sounded like an SNP wishlist.

I liked what Nigel Evans was saying (roughly in the 1hr 54 min area). He said normally the politicians let down the people but this time the people let down the politicians (by not voting the way that was expected). Never thought I'd listen to a Tory and not laugh, maybe I'm growing up or one Tory finally talks sense.

He also said that when sovereignty was transferred to the people via the referendum vote and a leaflet was sent to every household saying that whatever the outcome of the referendum it would be honoured it is too late to renege on that.

One MP said although her constituents voted leave she didn't want them to be poorer than they are now and that we should stay in/get another vote - very altruistic but makes a mockery of asking them in the first place and, they voted for her to represent them not to nanny them.

"Of the 9 organisations that are backing a new vote, 8 of them explicitly want Brexit overturned". (Nigel Evans MP)

...and then, there's this: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8689221.html

I cannot imagine why the EU would want us back - 17.5 million people who dislike (hate?) the EU - if the haters were a country they would be the 8th biggest in the EU. Of course, there's the money... I've listened to (non UK) EU voters and EU politicians laughing at "little englanders" and saying good riddance, but it seems they'll put up with us as long as we keep paying.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 08:58 AM   #148
SV650rules
Mega Poster

quote from article in link below.....

In the days after the referendum, as politicians stumbled about in shock and Leave voters rejoiced, I remember my French other half saying: “It won’t happen.” He wasn’t saying it out of spite, but merely because he remembered what happened in France the last time the French were offered a vote on the EU. In 2005, the French people were given a vote on the European constitution – and voted against it. A few years later, it was pushed through parliament anyway by new president Nicolas Sarkozy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a8472901.html

yes the EU have a track record of overturning national referendums by bullying

And against the advice of many EU lawmakers that it would set a precedent for the future the ECJ came up with a ruling scribbled on a paper napkin during their lunch hour just in time for the commons vote in UK, now if that is not interfering I do not know what is.. They obviously did not need to think about it too much because their political masters had already instructed them what the result should be.

The decision by the European Court of Human Rights that the UK can unilaterally revoke Article 50 has had a more widespread impact than it has, perhaps, been realised in this country

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-12-18 at 09:09 AM.
Old 19-12-18, 09:37 AM   #149
Talking Heads

Thw way I see it, most likely outcome..... one way or another, A50 will be revoked.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 09:40 AM   #150
ophic
Mega Poster

Cynical view:

You'll always be politically manipulated, no matter the outcome. It's what they do. I'd rather not be poorer as well, just for the privilege of it being done by British politicians.