SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 11-06-13, 02:45 PM   #631
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Re: Photo Comp - Chat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
so temped to use this one... But alas it's not mine... lol

Must have been a cold day...

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-13, 02:59 PM   #632
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettus View Post
I think photobucket (or other free hosting) didn't do some entries justice this month, (Notably Trev's as it has SO much in it) because of the pixel limitation (1024 wide I think)

Some cracking entries though and quite a few went out to take some just for this which is what I'd hoped for.

Just an aside on the voting thought process, being completely honest, does anyone else here skew their opinion a little?

Basically what got me thinking it is if all things were equal my favourite shot this month is LPH's its nicely proportioned, perfectly exposed and has vibrant colours which appeal to me personally.... BUT, I *KNOW* how capable she is so I'd mentally handicapped her (sorry that's an awful turn of phrase but what I mean is in my head I'd weighted her entry back a little (no disrespect intended LPH by doing this, quite the opposite!)) I just wondered if others do this with the more accomplished entrants (consciously or not perhaps now you think about it)

I hasten to add that it doesn't mean I won't vote for LPH (or any other advanced photographer) it just means they have to work harder for it.

Just wondering how others think of this and if I'm "wrong" in this then I'll change my thinking, I just wondered how others think.

(this introspection and self awareness may or may not have been brought on by yesterdays caffeine intake http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...&postcount=495)

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to apologise completely for any offence caused by being (perhaps TOO) honest but rest assured NONE is intended.
I only just saw this Brettus. Made me chuckle. I've never had any training, I have an O level in cookery but nothing in photography. I'm currently studying a City and Guilds but that is mostly Photoshop which I don't use for photo entries on here other than a bit of cropping. My main investment is the two L series lenses which I bought to use mostly at work but paid for myself as I like to own my own kit.

This month's entry I will admit I took about 6 years ago, when I only had basic kit, but I just love the little elephant and you can see his mum was keeping a very close eye on me getting near her baby.
Old 11-06-13, 03:10 PM   #633
Brettus

I think you just made me feel even more envious You have so much talent! your entry is my favourite so far this month, only just over 1/3rd distance but it'll take some topping (old kit or not)

good work!
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-13, 10:37 PM   #634
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Pete... Fantabulas photo mate.

Old 25-06-13, 10:17 AM   #635
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Pete... Fantabulas photo mate.

Although strictly speaking that is a bird and the competition is for animals

We had an insects challenge at college and one guy was disqualified because his picture was of a spider which the tutor said was an arachnid and not an insect - picky picky picky!
Old 25-06-13, 10:58 AM   #636
Brettus

you forget, we are but simple folk here, if it's alive and ain't human its animal Although, technically humans are animals too. All depends on which definition you use.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/animal (point 3 supports your point, point 2 mine and point 1 covers anything living that isn't a plant.)
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"

Last edited by Brettus; 25-06-13 at 11:00 AM.
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-13, 12:39 PM   #637
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Some amazing pictures! Only gutting thing about mine was that an hour after taking that, my friend and I witnessed three wolves chasing and splitting a herd of Elk and taking one down. So wish I could have got pictures of that!
Old 26-06-13, 07:16 AM   #638
Berlin

I hear ya! All this month the mother bear has been teaching her cub to fish for salmon in our creek! But do you think I could get them on camera? Only having a point and shoot, I've had quite a few close calls this month trying to get close enough to bears to get a good shot. You're supposed to walk round making noise, not sneaking up on them! One day left to get the shot...

Oh, and I've met 22 bears this month! B-)

Last edited by Berlin; 26-06-13 at 07:18 AM.
Old 26-06-13, 03:29 PM   #639
missyburd

No idea how I missed this, just missed the deadline too, what a poor do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Although strictly speaking that is a bird and the competition is for animals
Zoologically speaking birds are vertebrates, vertebrates are members of the phylum Chordata which is a division of the animal kingdom. Birds are very definitely animals!
Old 26-06-13, 03:38 PM   #640
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyburd View Post
No idea how I missed this, just missed the deadline too, what a poor do!

Zoologically speaking birds are vertebrates, vertebrates are members of the phylum Chordata which is a division of the animal kingdom. Birds are very definitely animals!
What she said!

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote