SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-13, 01:38 PM   #1
Feersum Enjinn

Default Ride Height for a K3 Pointy?

Just bought a naked K3 for my wife and I know absolutely nothing about these apart from the fact that the 250mile ride back from Liverpool was a blast! I thought it seemed to run a little wide in slower corners and roundabouts and it came with a spare set of suspension links. Previous owner said the suspension had been lowered but it doesn't seem particularly low to me (I am 6ft, wife is 5'9") so I wondered if the spare links are actual a jack up kit. Anyone know what standard ride height should be? I shall also be adjusting the rear shock and front preload as previous owner must have thought suspension tuning was 'turn everything as hard as it will go'.
Old 28-07-13, 05:03 PM   #2
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ride Height for a K3 Pointy

Im a curvy owner so not 100% sure but i think its seat height is 800mm on the naked and 805mm faired going by the specs, but im sure a k3 owner will will be along soon to put me right.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-13, 06:44 PM   #3
dkid

Default Re: Ride Height for a K3 Pointy

From what I can see it's 805mm for a curvy and 800mm for pointy inc 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_SV650
Old 30-07-13, 11:56 AM   #4
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ride Height for a K3 Pointy?

I have a set of lowering dogbones for sale. They are the lowest you can go before you start running into problems. These added to a lowered seat meant my vertically challenged wife could ride the SV with no problems.

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-13, 11:56 AM   #5
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Though she had a slightly lower K4!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
Old 30-07-13, 01:56 PM   #6
Feersum Enjinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
Though she had a slightly lower K4!
Wasn't after lowering the seat height, just wanted it standard to start with so I have a reference to go from. Like I said, seemed to run a bit wide on roundabouts and wondered if the lowering kit might affect the rake on the front end. See you have a GSXR front end, is it worth doing, and how much hassle?
Old 30-07-13, 03:58 PM   #7
jambo
Mega Poster

You're best off finding the length of the standard dog bones / tie bars and measuring what you've got spare and on the bike.

As to what that figure would be, I'm not so sure

Jambo
Old 30-07-13, 04:35 PM   #8
Feersum Enjinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
You're best off finding the length of the standard dog bones / tie bars and measuring what you've got spare and on the bike.

As to what that figure would be, I'm not so sure

Jambo
Thanks Jambo. Just measured the ones I have spare. They are 132mm from inside of bore to inside of bore. The bore is 11mm, so that makes them 143mm centre to centre. Also noticed they have 17G stamped on them, so thinking these probably are standard as wouldn't have thought aftermarket ones would be stamped . Anyone out there know or can measure the standard length for an 03 pointy?
Old 30-07-13, 07:01 PM   #9
phil24_7
Mega Poster

The 17G ones will be the standard ones so refit these and see how things go.

What do you ride normally? The SV is not as focused as a sports bike so may feel slightly vague or harder to turn than your bike. My wifes bike has been lowered quite a bit and it still turns ok though is slightly harder to turn than a standard SV (not very noticeable though). Tyre pressures will make a much bigger difference, my bike felt terrible once because I'd been a bit lazy checking the pressures and they had dropped a few psi. I think I run 36 on the rear and 42 on the front which keeps things nice and sharp.

The SV650's only rear weak point is it's suspension. It is well worth upgrading if you can afford it. The K4 GSXR rear shock fits with a few mods to the battery tray (search on here fr the full guide) and offers much better adjustment and takes away the bouncyness of the original. The K5 GSXR600 front end is head and shoulders above standard and as long as you source your parts carefully it's a doddle to fit with just a few little things needing fettling. Obviously custom suspension from the big names will be better but these cost an absolute fortune but pound for pound the GSXR suspension mods are a better option for most.

Old 30-07-13, 07:51 PM   #10
Feersum Enjinn

Thanks for all the info Phil. Will put the 17G ones on and I'll check the tyre pressures too, currently they are 36 front, 42 rear, same as my CBR which i thought about right as I thought rear tyres normally had more in than front. I ride a CBR600, an '89FK, and I am very impressed with the SV, love the way it pulls out of bends and feels very light, way better than the divi600 my wife had previously. Actually think I could be a v twin convert.