SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-10, 07:22 PM   #11
Stewbie

Default Re: Clutch Problem, Still.

Anyone got any more ideas? Please, I'd quite like to ride my bike again! Cheers.
Old 16-04-10, 08:29 PM   #12
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Do you mean the clutch doesnt disengage when you pull the lever in?If so how does the lever feel?Is their the usual weight on it or does it pull in too easily as if its not pushing on anything?If so I would look again at what you have touched when doing the chain.Maybe the worm gear is brocken as there are lots of ball bearings in it which can fall out if its worn,or there is too much slack in the cable.My money is on the worm gear being fooked.
Old 16-04-10, 10:36 PM   #13
beabert

record it for us
Old 16-04-10, 10:40 PM   #14
Stewbie

The clutch doesn't engage when you pull it in. So the bike will be in gear, you pull the clutch in, and nothing happens, so the wheel is still solid and you can't move it more than a few degrees as normal.

When you pull the clutch lever in, it feels fine, just like normal. I'm almost certain that none of the bearings fell out of the worm gear so that shouldn't be the problem.

I can't record it until Sunday, because I'm in Liverpool tomorrow. If there's some daylight left when I get home I'll try to.

Sorry I can't give any more detail.
Old 16-04-10, 11:56 PM   #15
Preston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewbie View Post
Ok, so I've read quite a few threads about how to adjust the clutch after changing the chain and sprockets.

So, I changed the chain and sprockets, and took the lifter off and put it all back together and it doesn't work. I've found Sid Squid's guide to adjustment afterwards, assuming it is all put back together correctly. So that's what I want to check.

I think it's right, but I'm often wrong! If it is wrong, please tell me!

Thanks a lot,

Stu
question.. Why the hell are you adjusting the cluch after changing chain and sproket? there is no need to..

the only time you need to adjust it is if you wanna change the bite point or the cable is streched and at that time its best to change the cable.

if you do want to adjust it abit then do it at the top with the adjuster not at the bottom end.......
Old 17-04-10, 08:48 AM   #16
Alpinestarhero

Can you see the pushrod going into and coming out of the engine when you pull the lever in?

What happens when you have the actual bike running? Before my new clutch, with my old clutch there was some drag which ment when the bike was in gear and I had the clutch in, it was dificul to push it around.

With regards to clutch adjutment, the actual adjustment is done at the pushrod itself; cable adjustment is only to take up slack and set the riders preferential biting point. Its best to do the majority of the slack adjustment at the pushrod end, but leave enough for fine adjustment at the clutch lever end - this way, you always have plently of adjustment avaliable to hand (like, if your sitting at traffic lights or something)
Old 17-04-10, 11:15 AM   #17
beabert

alpinestars, what clutch plates etc did you buy, mines a bitch o push about in gear too.
Old 17-04-10, 07:32 PM   #18
Stewbie

Alpinestar: Yes, when the lever is pulled in and let out, the pushrod moves in and out.

Can't tell you what happens when the bike is running, because it has a very flat battery, so I've got a slave starter for it. Not started yet though, I want to sort the clutch out before anything.