SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-01-19, 01:13 PM   #11
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: to all the workers, a message from the bosses

Well it's like a game of chess but you buy the pieces. And the board. And pay to get the rules changed if somehow you still can't win.
Old 05-01-19, 03:32 PM   #12
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post

The pay gap is so large, he can work for one year and retire, if he so chose. He doesn't have to work at all after this. He won't be in the dole queue or struggling to feed his family in a sh*tehole flat somewhere.
So far this thread is really all about relative richness. All these economic migrants are using their life savings and risking their lives for a chance to live in that "sh*tehole flat". Our poorest are much richer than the middle class only a few generations ago and compared to many in south & central america, Africa, Asia et al.

Just to put it into perspective a little. Over the last few years there has been a take over battle for control of Syria Ltd, a well known family run business in the middle east. The message from the boss there was delivered by fighter jet.

The problem we have is one of expectation and inequality.
Old 05-01-19, 03:46 PM   #13
Red ones
Mega Poster

Perspective.

Consider the top 1% of earners or the global top 1% of people by net wealth.

What does your income or your net wealth have to be to qualify you for this sinking rich, uncaring, capitalist elite?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 04:37 PM   #14
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Our poorest are much richer than the middle class only a few generations ago...
Not sure people who can't afford to feed themselves have ever been considered middle class in any generation.

Perspective... just because things could be worse, doesn't mean they're great as they are. Or right. Or can't be improved. But yes, things could be a lot worse. No dispute there.

Last edited by ophic; 05-01-19 at 04:43 PM.
ophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 05:39 PM   #15
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Not sure people who can't afford to feed themselves have ever been considered middle class in any generation.
Do you know anyone who cannot afford to eat? I don't.
I have worked in some of the poorest areas of Newcastle and not met anyone who cannot afford to eat. I have met a fair few who have a TV in every room and hence high electric bills so struggle and also people who go to the food back one week then fly off to holiday the next (one of my daughters runs a clothing scheme for the poor { https://www.facebook.com/groups/Comm...lothingScheme/ } and recently gave a load of children's clothes and school uniforms to a family who then sold them on Facebook, almost broke her kind heart).

I do not see real malnutrition in the UK with severely thin people like we did in the 50's. I do see people who are malnourished and fat at the same time through poor diet.

Yet at the same time the streets of our poorest areas are littered with cars check out https://goo.gl/maps/SUtiKpZ6jwx. This is an area with the biggest problems and "poverty" in N upon T just move the little chap around and see that all the streets have cars.

On the subject of cars, we moved house in 1962 there was only one car on the street, a demonstrator driven by the garage salesman, nobody on the street owned a car, this is it now https://goo.gl/maps/bm1C7NdYEfE2

I think our biggest problem (well apart from China and the rest) is that automation promised us the opportunity to work 4 hours a week for the same productivity. Instead we have increased productivity (and moved it offshore) without reducing the working week, leading to less people in productive work. By productive I mean adding real value to something and selling it, preferably abroad, not teaching everyone how to write a better CV and similar.
Old 05-01-19, 05:58 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Stuff
at one time there were the "have and have nots". now there are just the "must haves".

i'm with LOM in that when my family came back from Africa to Edinburgh there were maybe 3 cars in our street and that was in the middle of the city across from the Queens Hall.

people "must have" so they will sell their soul and work all the hours they can as they cant manage money so get themselves into debt. poor misguided idiots.

yes this is the "must have" generation.

now i'm all for equality but it goes both ways so why should a person earning billions have to pay higher tax than someone earning min wage. if your earning billions you are automatically paying millions in tax. most people on min wage dont pay much tax but expect a lot more and take a lot more. those with the real money pay their own way and get ridiculed for doing it.

Last edited by Bibio; 05-01-19 at 06:00 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 06:12 PM   #17
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Just as an aside here. My daughter started the scheme because of the high cost of school uniforms. The cost is so high because the school give a monopoly or duopoly to a shop in return for a donation. The shops then charge what they like. Low income working families suffer. This is made much worse at our local high school who have a different coloured logo for each year so you cannot pass a school top down to a younger sibling or friends child.
At one local school if your child wears the wrong brand of trousers they are excluded, so perfectly good trousers from the supermarket are not allowed.

What really gets my goat is that the local council are very supportive of her in a non financial way whilst doing nothing about the schools that they fund. Boils my pee.
Old 05-01-19, 06:42 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

our local school would be empty if they done that...
dont they have a PA at the school?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-19, 07:28 PM   #19
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Yes and they seem happy with that.
Old 05-01-19, 10:34 PM   #20
Talking Heads

Quote:
Do you know anyone who cannot afford to eat? I don't.
Just because you don't know them, doesn't mean they don't exist.

When the UN send a rapporteur to investigate extreme poverty things have to be pretty bad.

The findings of Mr Alston's visit are shocking.

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/...23881&LangID=E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XeV_CTIh3c
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote