SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-01-19, 04:46 PM   #201
Heorot

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

Jezza always looks like an @rse.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 05:18 PM   #202
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Why does stupid Jezza keep up this theatre of votes of no confidence when he know he is gonna lose, it is just making him look more of an idiot than usual. Labour dropping behind tories in the polls just when they should be going in front, the people of UK know that Labour are in a thousand pieces on Brexit and have absolutely no coherent policies except as trouble makers -

Westminster Labour completely out of touch with their core supporters

https://labourheartlands.com/the-mon...ject-hysteria/

there is a great video embedded in this article from Peter Shore at the 1975 ( just prior to referendum) Oxford Union - tells you all you need to know about EU, and it was so obvious even all those years ago..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 08:59 PM   #203
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Why does stupid Jezza keep up this theatre of votes of no confidence when he know he is gonna lose, it is just making him look more of an idiot than usual. Labour dropping behind tories in the polls just when they should be going in front, the people of UK know that Labour are in a thousand pieces on Brexit and have absolutely no coherent policies except as trouble makers -

Westminster Labour completely out of touch with their core supporters

https://labourheartlands.com/the-mon...ject-hysteria/

there is a great video embedded in this article from Peter Shore at the 1975 ( just prior to referendum) Oxford Union - tells you all you need to know about EU, and it was so obvious even all those years ago..
That is so right and at the same time so wrong.
The “problem” started out as one of economics, livelihoods, politics, social issues. I’m afraid that has all gone out of the window. It is now almost all and only about people.
I’m a highly educated but very simple man. The following may seem OTT but please bear with me.
People are all about perception (the truth is mostly secondary). Think of the well-known saying that “if you get a reputation as an early riser, you can get up as late as you like”. Yes I know about aggregate behaviour and Factorial Experimental Design so can appreciate that whilst all of us are different, that en mass we behave in allegedly predicable ways.
The way the EU sees things is like this.
Mr /Ms EU and Mr /Ms UK are holding the annual family get together on Boxing day at their place. UK has been banging on about leaving for some time.
EU believes they have provided every thing for the get together. Everyone has arrived when UK turns up from the pub drunk. UK gets their 15 year old niece / nephew and shafts them on the dining room table in front of the whole family. EU is livid.
The fact is knowing that UK is likely to leave at some point, will will EU invest any time, effort and money into the relationship. When UK asks for some money for a new car, can you guess the answer.

Last edited by littleoldman2; 16-01-19 at 09:02 PM.
littleoldman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-19, 09:53 PM   #204
embee
Mega Poster

Regardless of any beliefs one way or another regarding Brexit, the one thing which raises my blood pressure to boiling point is the way the Tories (various examples, Amber Rudd being one), after the last couple of days, are still trying to blame everyone else for the total shambles and nil consultation by the exit ministers over the last 2.5yrs. This was never a party political issue and should never have been tackled by May et al as though it was.
Amber Rudd was this evening complaining that any questioning of what might or might not be on the table for consideration was tantamount to wasting time. The arrogance is astounding. May is just the same.

There was an interesting interview earlier on the BBC News24 channel with the former director general of the WTO. As he said, he had no dog in the fight, but was somewhat incredulous at the ineptitude of the UK to get it's act together. His opinion (as former director general) was that exiting under WTO rules would be very costly to both the UK and to the EU. Just his opinion, but what would he know?

The EU attitude to this week's debacle so far has been spot on, it's up to the UK to get their thumbs out of their backsides and come up with something credible. Just think how well we'll do once we are on our own.
Old 17-01-19, 02:09 AM   #205
Talking Heads

Leave campaign proven to have lied and broken electoral law yet the vote still stands.
Farcical.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 08:38 AM   #206
Seeker
Mega Poster

It's a sad possibility (to me) that we may be stuck permanently with Tory governments. Labour has always needed the Scottish vote to win elections, once they lost that it pretty much doomed us.

I'm no longer averse to a second referendum but I do think that it should be more structured than before. If "remain" were to win by a slim majority I don't think that would help, so make a 60/40 result required.

If "leave" were to win then the second part of the referendum would have to indicate the choices of "no deal" or close ties (customs union etc).

I was just skimming through the Labour party EU manifesto and from what I read Corbyn seems to be following it. Our current predicament (imho) is purely a Conservative party issue, yet people seem to think that tories can do a better job than Labour. Theresa May wants "input" for a new strategy but refuses to change her red lines, so what's the point of talking to her, it's the "red lines" that stop any compromises.

I saw Cameron on tv yesterday saying he had no regrets on calling the referendum. Personally, I think he should be jailed, I don't think one man has ever done so much damage to the UK in modern history.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 09:24 AM   #207
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I saw Cameron on tv yesterday saying he had no regrets on calling the referendum. Personally, I think he should be jailed, I don't think one man has ever done so much damage to the UK in modern history.
Wasn't it on the Tory manifesto? and therefore we "all" voted for it?
Should we jail all the Tory voters?
You see this is what happens when a Tory actually keeps a promise. Total chaos
Old 17-01-19, 09:55 AM   #208
Red ones
Mega Poster

I'm only now beginning to find it interesting. Up to now the negotiations have been predictable. EU stance predictable. UK position unclear.
Never go in to a negotiation not knowing exactly what you want.
The result of negotiating was always going to be predictable. With unclear requirements how would the UK know if it got anything code to acceptable.

Millions of people now saying May/Corbyn/etc don't know what they are doing. It's a poisoned chalice. The mess is now huge and no one will want to be the person to take it on at the moment. Would you want the job right now? Where has Boris gone? He's missing in action somewhere.

It's interesting, the views on Cameron. The growing number who think he should be held to account. At the same time we are told that the whole thing is 'the will of the people.' It's either Cameron's fault OR the will of the people but it can't be both.

The figures are interesting. Over 33,500,000 people voted and yet it hinged on the views of 635,000. Ahead of the referendum all major political parties favoured remaining in the EU. Now we are told that all parties want to leave and it's the will of the people.

The whole thing will come down to game theory. No one wants no deal, it will rip the country to pieces and opens a whole Pandora's box in NI. There is one deal and no one likes it. Palatable remain deal is struck - the question being is that through multiple delays or by a further referendum.
The game theory is the fascinating bit.

I'm wagering a last minute delay in exiting and then a drawn out renegotiation which results in a review of membership requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 10:44 AM   #209
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
I'm only now beginning to find it interesting
I think that is what the captain of the Titanic said about icebergs.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-19, 03:45 PM   #210
SV650rules
Mega Poster

There were two vote on brexit, one in June 2016 and another on in 2017 when both major parties said in their manifesto that they would respect result of referendum, SNP lost a third of its seats, by taken Scottish conservatives, which also took Scottish Labour seats. Every party that openly supported remain did badly...

Labour is compete mess, have made themselves irrelevant and you would have to have rocks in your head to vote for them..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote