SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-08-08, 05:25 PM   #11
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Cycling Thread

12'ish mph i think

not sure, 6 miles in 35 mins to work, am i right?

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 05:39 PM   #12
andywilson460

I average 15mph in central london on a Brompton during the week... got rid of my road bike a while ago, but was about 17mph in London - a lot more on the open road.
Old 11-08-08, 07:24 PM   #13
Filipe M.

Went for a short ride in the rain today, was really looking forward to it (don't ask, it's a pet passion of mine), but didn't have any fun at all. Felt like crap all the way through, my climbing was awful, had to do an emergency brake / swerve to avoid another tw@ on a bicycle who decided to pull out his rear brake at the top of a climb only god knows why, and had to go through a curtain of cigar smoke to get into my building while gasping for air. The stupid bint didn't even move, just kept staring at me while puffing smoke in my direction. Oh, and it stopped raining as soon as I started riding...

[/rant]

Sorry, feeling better already, just had to get that out of my chest, already looking forward for a better day.
Old 11-08-08, 07:52 PM   #14
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Stats from ride home tonight

58 mins 28 secs, 16.9 miles, Avg speed 17.4. That was an average hilly route. 3 decent climbs in it and not much descending. 348ft of climbing done.

Good tool for mapping out rides is www.mapmyride.com you can draw the route you've done and show you elevation, climbs etc, the new version of it has a tool for working out calories burnt and that kind of stuff if you dont have a HRM.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 10:44 AM   #15
graham04

I would like to boast about my cycling ability at this time. However unfortunately I cant say that I was the fit bloke in the pic. I was photgraphing my old gsxf in the background. The amazing thing is he carried his camera up to the top of the Bonette which was used for the Tour this year. The highest bit of tarmac in Europe 2802m. There were loads of cyclists at the top, I was knackered riding the Suzi so how this lot did it is behond me. I have ridden over most of the big alpine passes during the last 10 years and it never ceases to amaze me the numbers of cyclists found on the top of them. All credit to everyone who ventures out. I might drag the old ped out of the shed myself but I wont look good in licra.
keep those legs pumping
Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0135b.jpg (115.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0134a.jpg (120.8 KB, 7 views)
graham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 10:46 AM   #16
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham04 View Post
I would like to boast about my cycling ability at this time. However unfortunately I cant say that I was the fit bloke in the pic. I was photgraphing my old gsxf in the background. The amazing thing is he carried his camera up to the top of the Bonette which was used for the Tour this year. The highest bit of tarmac in Europe 2802m. There were loads of cyclists at the top, I was knackered riding the Suzi so how this lot did it is behond me. I have ridden over most of the big alpine passes during the last 10 years and it never ceases to amaze me the numbers of cyclists found on the top of them. All credit to everyone who ventures out. I might drag the old ped out of the shed myself but I wont look good in licra.
keep those legs pumping
Graham
Frickin' heck I only went over 1000m once 11 years ago and found it bloody hard (started at 500m), can't imagine what it would be like to go that high
Old 13-08-08, 05:18 PM   #17
malks

well finally after a bit of waiting and a bit of hassle I finally get my specialized xc fsr 09 on friday. halfords have been a proper pain in the ass with the cycle to work scheme, although they can source most makes and models they seem to 'run out of stock' but never mind I'm now getting the 09 model and after a final check of what halfords have done it'll get a blast round glentress this weekend hopefully!!
Old 13-08-08, 05:37 PM   #18
andywilson460

Did a tandem bike off-road yesterday with my gf. Did about 20 miles in total- not very fast but excellent fun. Highly recommend it
Old 14-08-08, 10:33 AM   #19
Viney
Mega Poster

Well, i tackled 'the hill' this morning. From my house up and over Anerley Hill. According to the website that fizz posted up its 366ft at the top. (The stats for the whole route are climb of 228ft and a decent of 299ft) The actual steepest part of the hill is rated as a 1 in 4.5 (according to my calulations) and one of the steapest in london and is the last part. I would like to say that i did it in one go, but the lactose got the best of me and a had to stop and stretch. The route shaved 5 mins off my time though (Same distance as my other route). It may have had something to do with coming down the other side at 38mph

I'll get there. I may just train on anerley hill for a bit!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-08, 10:34 AM   #20
Filipe M.

Good, keep at it and you'll get there