SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-05, 08:21 PM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default How much paint again for a faired SV?

Finally going to crack on and get my paint- I blagged a Sealey gun off a mate and ran it with my compressor, and it works a charm, so no reason to put off any more- still planning to use cellulose over 2-pack since I expect to respray the bike from time to time anyway (it has at least one colour chancge planned already ). Also, the whole not being deadly thing is a plus.

So, I've got my gun, I've got my codes, I've got most of the prep work done... All I need is the paint- and to know how much I want. Paints 4 U, who I'm probably going to use for the supply (and for a few other bits and bobs) recommend a 1:1 thinner mix with their paints, so how much should I order to paint an SV with lowers, plus a hugger and the mirrors, and a couple of spare panels on top?

Cheers!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-05, 08:51 PM   #2
jon

I hope you understand my answer as much as i understood your post.

The answer you're looking for is "9"...

On a more serious note, if you've a digicam i'd be fascinated to see the process that goes into prepping and spraying a SV.
Old 17-08-05, 08:53 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

You don't want to use me as an example Or at least, not til we find out if I can do it or not...
Old 17-08-05, 09:02 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I haven't got a clue, (not just about this either, I'm fairly clueless on a good day), and I hate painting anyway, but I'm very interested to see how yours turns out.

PS PM either Rictus or Barty, they both seem to know what they're talking about as far as paint goes, which is just as well as they both seem utterly daft in all other ways.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-05, 10:19 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

I didn't want to bother Barty Boy any more with it, he's already told me the answer about 3 times But as it turns out I've got a bit of local support on teh case from Big Al, so I should be sorted. I'd say cheers for the help but, eh, I didn't get any

I've got no idea yet how it'll turn out, no reason to assume it won't work but equally I don't expect a first class result first time out. I can see me taking 2 runs at some of is, so I'll start out with the dinged-up track panels and work up to the ones that'll be on the bike the rest of the time I'm pretty pleased with the paint job I've chosen, but it's a sekrit till the job's done.
Old 17-08-05, 10:48 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Depends on paint, but i done me bike with bike with just over a litre and a half, that was 2 pack.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-05, 09:17 AM   #7
tinpants
Ubique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon
I hope you understand my answer as much as i understood your post.

The answer you're looking for is "9"...

On a more serious note, if you've a digicam i'd be fascinated to see the process that goes into prepping and spraying a SV.

"9" what??? Surely not litres? Blimey, I ysed less than that to spray a Chieftain Tank