SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-08-05, 10:15 PM   #11
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The valves rarely go out of adjustment it's true, but I'd consider it most unwise not to check them.

Checking is easy, adjustment isn't so easy, repairing a broken one is harder still, not to mention dear. It may not be likely that they'll be out, but is possible, I'd rather know.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-05, 10:56 PM   #12
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I was thinking of having a look at them as my bike is now nearing about 19-20k. But when, i dont know.

I think the noises coming from my bike is the cam chain tens, so probably i will do it all at the same time.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-05, 06:36 AM   #13
SteveR

If you're bothering going to a suzuki dealer 'to keep up with the warranty', then you should also make sure that the service is carried out in accordance with their plan. (I'm not convinced that you lose the warranty by going elsewhere tho).

The valve clearances are easy and quick to do if combined with other jobs.
I've done mine when changing coolant - once the radiator's off then the front clerances can easily be checked (and the front plug's a doddle). It also gives a chance to clean the cam covers. The rear cylinder isn't too much trouble anyway.

The engine does have to be *stone cold*

Brakes and sprockets could be done by onyone to save money.
Old 17-08-05, 07:30 AM   #14
Viney
Mega Poster

£350 sounds a tad extortionate tbh. The most expensive service i have ever had was £249!! As for the vavles. My bikes at 41000 and to date has never needed to have its valves adjusted. They are checked every 16-20k.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-05, 06:14 PM   #15
Bonart

Had mine checked at the 15k service with new rear brake pad & new choke cable fitted and the bill came to around £280 ish. £353 to start with sounds expensive.
Old 17-08-05, 06:28 PM   #16
Red ones
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
If you're bothering going to a suzuki dealer 'to keep up with the warranty', then you should also make sure that the service is carried out in accordance with their plan. (I'm not convinced that you lose the warranty by going elsewhere tho).
Warranty sticks if the schedule is adhered to - proving it is the difficult bit tho. Europe did get something right for once!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-05, 08:56 AM   #17
The Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonart
Had mine checked at the 15k service with new rear brake pad & new choke cable fitted and the bill came to around £280 ish. £353 to start with sounds expensive.
Just dropped her of this morning.

The actual price is £299 inc vat and bits and labour etc..
I think the £335 (Sorry got353 from somewhere) includes a new front tyre which I had to pre-order.

BTW: I've just had 16.5k out of the front tyre verified by 2 independant bikers in work, that it still had life in it this morning as well.. and NO I don't wheelie all the way to work

Shocked myself even

Mass
Old 18-08-05, 09:00 AM   #18
Nagai

And what lovely courtesy bike did you get from them?

I remembr getting a ZX6R when my sv had it's first service! Mentalo bike, scared myself senseless on it on the M57 on the way home from the dealer! Fantastic! Still want a little 600cc four cylinder bike!
Old 18-08-05, 09:04 AM   #19
The Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagai
And what lovely courtesy bike did you get from them?

I remembr getting a ZX6R when my sv had it's first service! Mentalo bike, scared myself senseless on it on the M57 on the way home from the dealer! Fantastic! Still want a little 600cc four cylinder bike!

I knew you'd ask...

GS500...I've done nothing but Pi$$ myself laughing all teh way back to work. the flow of air on a naked is wonderful. Tried taking her over 75mph to overtake a van, and my hands went numb from the vibes in the handle bars lots of fun!!!
I'm Still laughin now and that was about an hour ago..
Old 18-08-05, 09:07 AM   #20
Nagai

GS500? Tarts bike! lol

You would have loved my H100S on the 7 1/2 hour trip to Norwich that December! Or the 4 hour trips to Taff land! (Same time as in the car, incidentally! unless you are Mr."Ayrton"Mass Sr!).