SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-05-09, 04:03 PM   #1
Baph

Default Oil Sump washers.

For the long time .Orgers, they'll know that the .Org is split over the use of sump washers or not, and replacing them etc etc.

I've always been in the "it aint going to run down the threads and the bolt isn't going to magically fall out" camp. This has been done on the basis that I watch the oil level pretty closely (as everyone should).

Last weekend at Oulton Park, I noticed the underside of the engine was a little more oily than usual, specifically underneath. No big deal, it's got plenty of oil left in the engine, and the scottoiler is set a tad high, so it's probably that (old engine oil in the scott). My thinking was that it was probably being flung forwards from the chain, but I'd keep an eye on it.

Half way home, I stopped for fuel, so checked again, and less oil in the engine, by a fair margin. But considering how far I'd travelled, and how much oil was missing, again, not a problem. Carry on.

I checked it again this morning before work. Still, no problem. Then I checked it again before leaving work. Hmm, not even going to start that up!!

She was leaking out of the sump washer. So I've just sorted it, with a new washer. I think I got pretty good value out of the old one, just shy of 40k miles for a single washer.

Will this change my thinking? Nah. I'm a Yorkshireman.

For anyone reading this & not being able to remember the last time they checked the oil level, do yourself a favour & do so now!!
Old 06-05-09, 04:34 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Oil Sump washers...

Wow, so that single sump washer went through what, 8 undoings and tightenings? Thats not too bad. I think i read somewhere you used a bit of PTFE tape aswell? I change my crush washer every other oil change. Dosn't cost much (i.e. nothing! thanks dad) and adds to peice of mind

+1 for checking oil, i check mine regularly and dont let it fall below halfway.
Old 06-05-09, 04:38 PM   #3
Baph

Yup, one washer lasted 40k miles, but I change oil every service (might as well, I like to treat my engine ). So that's around 10-12 oil changes it's survived.

But yes, I also use PTFE (on the very end of the threads - not the tip of the bolt - by the head, before anyone shouts about it being dangerous etc).

The sales guy didn't even think they had sump washers until I said "If I can tell you where they are will you buy it for me?" - at that point he asked one of the mechanics.
Old 06-05-09, 06:55 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Yup, one washer lasted 40k miles, but I change oil every service (might as well, I like to treat my engine ). So that's around 10-12 oil changes it's survived.

But yes, I also use PTFE (on the very end of the threads - not the tip of the bolt - by the head, before anyone shouts about it being dangerous etc).

The sales guy didn't even think they had sump washers until I said "If I can tell you where they are will you buy it for me?" - at that point he asked one of the mechanics.
lol sales guy phail. the PTFE trick works for all bolts - my clutch cover (warped and a bit leaky through a bolt) has been "plugged" succesfully with the PTFE tape. I have another leak on the other side, bu its so small its insignificant.
Old 06-05-09, 08:28 PM   #5
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Hey Baph !
Was the drain bolt at all loose when you removed it ?