SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 27-05-13, 08:59 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default PR2's V's Storms

first impressions.

the storms are a good tyre there is no denying that but they don't have the mileage. so after getting totally fed up with the fronts cupping i decided to switch brand.

step up the PR2's. well just the front for now.

done 330 miles on 26/05/13 and i sorta like them. there is a weird 'blocky' feel to them that reminds me of tyres of old where you can feel the tread at low speeds. they are a bit harder than the storms and a lot less feedback but enough to let you have an idea of what's going on. they seem to tip in slightly slower than the storms but are a nice and even with each degree of lean e.g. no sudden drop in. it might be the shape or the tread is wider than the storms but they don't go to the edge the same way so there is more of a chicken strip to them. as a guide the storms would be 0-CS on rear and 2-3mm on front now there is 0-CS (still a storm) on rear and 10-12mm on front. this was all in dry weather so have not tested their pudding in the wet.

one thing i did notice is that i'm not fighting the bars as much switching from lean to lean as i was with the storms and need a lot less input into the bars which is better on my wrists.

another thing i have noticed is a line developing just off centre so will keep an eye on that.

so far so good and i like them enough to say better than the storms in enough ways for me to switch and leave the storms out of the picture. but the proof of the pudding will be wear rate and wet weather riding and if they don't compare to the storms then it will be another hunt for something else.

my rear is due to be changed in about 1k so will be getting the PR2 for that.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-13, 01:43 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: PR2's V's Storms

Update:

well i have had a rear on for about 700 miles now. front still feels blocky and there is a fair amount of tyre roar from both front and back.

they take ages to scrub in and while doing so slide about quite a bit where the Storms are great from the off.

they don't heat up very quick in fact they change completely after 20 miles at which point you get masses of grip but until that point the feel washy and hard where the Storms are good from about 1/2 a mile.

dry grip is ok with no issues but compared to the Storms there is no contest, the Storms win by a long way.

wet grip is rather good and is better or on par than the Storms but unlike the Storms they dont spin up as much on white lines and tar joints.

the PR2's are much slower in turning in but give a nice even transition where the storms would drop fairly fast but feel planted. there is a weird point at almost full lean on the PR2's where it starts to drop in very rapidly and is quite unnerving and feels like a squared off tyre.

i'm slower on the PR2's as i was on the Storms by a good amount, corners i would take at 60 on the storms i'm taking at 50 on the PR2's.

what i'm probably missing is the reactive footprint of the storms which seems to suit my riding style.

will i be buying another pair of PR2's... NO, unless they improve. i think i will be getting rid of them at the first chance i can get funds as they don't suit my riding style. so i will retract this statement from above ''so far so good and i like them enough to say better than the storms in enough ways for me to switch and leave the storms out of the picture.''
Old 24-06-13, 10:17 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

Is it not a case of you still aren't use to them? By the sounds of it you're still riding as if you have Storms and are trying to directly compare the 2 as a back to back. As you know (i'm trying not to be patronising at all) different tyres have different characteristics and so need to be ridden differently. Perhaps adjusting your style may help you bond with the tyres better and get more out of them.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-13, 12:18 AM   #4
Runako

Let me play clairvoyant. I'm guessing you're not running the recommended OEM tyre pressures.

I'd also say a better comparison is the Pilot Power range as the PR's are more touring than sport. Although the PR3's are said to be far superior.

I agree with an element of the heating up thing. The PP2's take longer to heat up than the new 3's, so Michelin must have done something in this department.

Also, doesn't the slower steering allow you to be more aggressive? Anyway, its not a critique as tyres are primarily about feel and if you just can't get on with them then you're doing the right thing to change. However, it will be interesting to see what you think of the Storms if you decide to go back to this as your next tyre.
Old 25-06-13, 05:55 AM   #5
dkid

Default PR2's V's Storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runako View Post
I'd also say a better comparison is the Pilot Power range as the PR's are more touring than sport.
This is the switch I'll be making. The RR is currently wearing PR2's from the previous owner and they have a couple of thousand miles left in them before I can justify changing them. When the time comes I'll be trying a set of pilot power 3's.

The PR2's are decent enough but don't feel brilliant when pushed really hard. They haven't stepped out on me badly but at bigger lean angles they aren't as stable as I'd like. They have around 2-3mm chicken strips left and I don't see me getting rid of them all together unless I took them onto a track (which I don't think will be their strength).

Playing with the pressures and getting a suspension set up at Jhs racing all helped but ultimately they don't inspire the confidence I've had with other tyres (the Dunlop roadsmart 2's were waaaay better IMHO in the dual compound ST category).

I should add that for someone who mostly commutes with the odd bit of weekend fun these would be an adequate tyre, especially as they are well priced.
However if you mostly ride for fun with the possibility of track days thrown in, its probably worth shelling out the extra for something at the sportier end of the spectrum.

Last edited by dkid; 11-07-13 at 05:49 AM.
Old 25-06-13, 03:32 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup i just have to get used to them but i don't like them. it don't feel right for me.

with slower steering you have to be more aggressive with with counter steer.

OEM pressures. but to this i feel they could do with being dropped a little to get heat into them quicker.

my personal choice and i think i have made the wrong one.

don't get me wrong they do nothing bad they just don't feel planted till they get a lot of heat into them at which point they feel bloody good but i have to ride like a loon to get them there. the Storms only stepped out on me a handful of times in 3 years but the PR2's have done about the same amount in 2 rideouts.
Old 25-06-13, 06:58 PM   #7
dkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
another thing i have noticed is a line developing just off centre so will keep an eye on that.
Does it look like this? (this is obviously a PR1 but same for all Michelin I think).

If so I think it's normal. Michelin say it's for discharging static electricity built up by friction into the ground.

http://moto.michelin.co.uk/advice/fa...michelin-tyres
Old 25-06-13, 07:42 PM   #8
Runako

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkid View Post
Does it look like this? (this is obviously a PR1 but same for all Michelin I think).

If so I think it's normal. Michelin say it's for discharging static electricity built up by friction into the ground.

http://moto.michelin.co.uk/advice/fa...michelin-tyres
Its a feature of all the new Michelins
Old 25-06-13, 07:45 PM   #9
dkid

Default PR2's V's Storms

Guessing as the example shown is a PR1 that this has been a Michelin feature for a good while now?
I didn't know about it until recently though
Old 25-06-13, 07:49 PM   #10
Runako

Yes, new as in PR1, 2CT's, PP1's etc.