SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-05-18, 06:57 PM   #1191
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

I took the kill switch apart as I think water is playing up with it. Starting can take several goes. Turn the key and all the usual buzzing sounds happen, but press the starter button and although the lights go out as usual nothing fires. Flick the kill switch a couple of times and it starts.

Anyway. Take the switch apart and spray with dispersant and check for corrosion. Put back together and it starts. (this may just be coincidence)

Then I'm puzzled by the hazard lights flashing all the time.
5 flipping minutes before I realise it's just the switch. I was baffled for 5 minutes!!

It's been a long day.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 07:01 PM   #1192
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
I took the kill switch apart as I think water is playing up with it. Starting can take several goes. Turn the key and all the usual buzzing sounds happen, but press the starter button and although the lights go out as usual nothing fires. Flick the kill switch a couple of times and it starts.

Anyway. Take the switch apart and spray with dispersant and check for corrosion. Put back together and it starts. (this may just be coincidence)

Then I'm puzzled by the hazard lights flashing all the time.
5 flipping minutes before I realise it's just the switch. I was baffled for 5 minutes!!

It's been a long day.
If you haven't already get some ACF50.I treat any switch and/or connector I have apart or not with it including my Ignition Barrel.Have done for years and have had very few electrical problems
Old 15-05-18, 07:28 PM   #1193
Red ones
Mega Poster

Use it all the time. Dunno what it is with this bike, I think it's allergic to being cleaned.

It's happiest when it's filthy.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 07:30 PM   #1194
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Use it all the time. Dunno what it is with this bike, I think it's allergic to being cleaned.

It's happiest when it's filthy.
Too easy.Must resist<grin>
Old 18-05-18, 07:40 PM   #1195
Bibio
Mega Poster

after a non start with the bike it turned out to be the kill switch, a quick change of switchgear and bike started second push of the starter not bad for a bike that sits out all winter without a cover. just need to get my finger out and fix the rest of it.. lol

i also helped the neighbour across the back fix his bandit 1200 and balance the carbs.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-18, 09:50 PM   #1196
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Yesterday I had a bit of a tinkering session.

I was lazy and used the jetwash (carefully!) to clean the bike at a garage in Welshpool. Just after I started I noticed the Scottoiler feed nozzle and pipe hanging down. Closer inspection showed that the piece of stiff wire cable tied to it to point it the right way was missing and the pipe had been a bit chewed by the chain. I suspect I had caught the pipe with the paddock stand in my garage when I took it off the stand. I cut the damaged piece away, pushed the nozzle back in, and turned the Scottoiler right down.

Got it back in my garage and spliced another piece of feed pipe in, and then did what I should have done years back when I first fitted it, put a thin piece of stiff wire up the inside of the feed pipe. Stuck an extra Scottoiler guide to the bottom of the swingarm, lined up the nozzle and it works a treat now.

Then went to check the chain tension and thought the chain was a bit noisy. Looked at the rear sprocket, perfect condition. Chain is good too, it doesn't lift of the rear sprocket at all. Looked at the front sprocket and it's a bit hooked. Damn! Straight onto Wemoto and ordered a new front sprocket for £12 and a few pence delivered. Normally I would change front and rear sprockets, and the chain together but as the chain and rear sprocket are in such good condition, I'll settle for just the front.

Sprocket should be here tomorrow so further tinkering will take place!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-18, 08:25 AM   #1197
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Yesterday I had a bit of a tinkering session.

I was lazy and used the jetwash (carefully!) to clean the bike at a garage in Welshpool. Just after I started I noticed the Scottoiler feed nozzle and pipe hanging down. Closer inspection showed that the piece of stiff wire cable tied to it to point it the right way was missing and the pipe had been a bit chewed by the chain. I suspect I had caught the pipe with the paddock stand in my garage when I took it off the stand. I cut the damaged piece away, pushed the nozzle back in, and turned the Scottoiler right down.

Got it back in my garage and spliced another piece of feed pipe in, and then did what I should have done years back when I first fitted it, put a thin piece of stiff wire up the inside of the feed pipe. Stuck an extra Scottoiler guide to the bottom of the swingarm, lined up the nozzle and it works a treat now.

Then went to check the chain tension and thought the chain was a bit noisy. Looked at the rear sprocket, perfect condition. Chain is good too, it doesn't lift of the rear sprocket at all. Looked at the front sprocket and it's a bit hooked. Damn! Straight onto Wemoto and ordered a new front sprocket for £12 and a few pence delivered. Normally I would change front and rear sprockets, and the chain together but as the chain and rear sprocket are in such good condition, I'll settle for just the front.

Sprocket should be here tomorrow so further tinkering will take place!
I've wondered about doing a partial change to the sprocket. I had exactly the same on one of my SVs. It'll be interesting to see how long the rear sprocket lasts compared to the front. In my case I replaced both and fitted a new chain as they'd done over 20k
Old 19-05-18, 08:56 AM   #1198
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

When I fitted a Full Chain and Sprocket kit last year I noticed that the rear sprocket was not symmetric orientation e.g it could only be fitted correctly one-way and in this case with the Maker's idents facing outwards.

Placing it on the other way and it was not aligned.The one that came off was identical on both sides so it wouldn't matter which way round it was fitted.

Also on my SV I don't trust the adjuster markers for setting the chain tension.I set the alignment using a tape measure between the centres of the Swing Arm bolt and the rear axle so both sides are exact.

When you consider how many revolutions a chain on a Motorcycle goes through in it's life and the stress placed on them even a minor misalignment will most likely cause premature wear and put more strain on the output shaft of the engine I methinks.

My 10 Penn'th.

HTH
Old 19-05-18, 12:39 PM   #1199
garynortheast
Mega Poster

This just arrived this morning. Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon.....

New front sprocket (2)rszd
by garynortheast, on Flickr

I'm impressed with the quality of this. It even has the neoprene quietening ramps on the sides.

New front sprocket (3)rszd
Old 19-05-18, 04:27 PM   #1200
garynortheast
Mega Poster

New sprocket now fitted. Astonished that the old one didn't do more damage to the chain and rear sprocket given it's condition!

Old sprocket