SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 09-03-08, 08:07 PM   #1
flibble

Default off roading ideas...

So after some discussions with friends... just wondering how many of you have tried any off roading?

Does anyone know of any good places around the TV area to give it a go?? Anyone else up for trying it too?
Old 09-03-08, 08:13 PM   #2
Demonz

Default Re: off roading ideas...

Ill be up for a ride - had a great day playing in the mud around the surrey hills today. Apparantly around the Chilterns theres a few trails as well. There is an enduro club I have been looking at as I wouldnt mind trying some hare and hounds. I did one of the Yamaha experience days last year which was in Winchester - it was more motocross though but muchos fun.

EDIT: http://www.chilternhillsclub.co.uk/
Old 09-03-08, 08:43 PM   #3
flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoGrant View Post
Ill be up for a ride - had a great day playing in the mud around the surrey hills today. Apparantly around the Chilterns theres a few trails as well. There is an enduro club I have been looking at as I wouldnt mind trying some hare and hounds. I did one of the Yamaha experience days last year which was in Winchester - it was more motocross though but muchos fun.

EDIT: http://www.chilternhillsclub.co.uk/
Was thinking more of a trial/experience day on off road bikes. ChilternHills club looks good, but perhaps for someone who's had bit of experience and wants to try fun race style events... (i have none yet )

A friend has old off road bike for sale and was wondering if it would be good idea to try it out??

Going to go and check out the yamaha/honda off road experience day website... cheers
Old 09-03-08, 08:53 PM   #4
ASM-Forever

I've done quite a bit, but mostly around mates farms/land.

From what i can tell a lot of the areas around here are bike free zones. I know some people who have been done for hooning around the forests. As much as i enjoy it i have to agree with banning bikes from most of the fields/forests as there are people walking their dogs etc and they just arn't compatible.
Old 10-03-08, 10:03 AM   #5
flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM-Forever View Post
I've done quite a bit, but mostly around mates farms/land.

From what i can tell a lot of the areas around here are bike free zones. I know some people who have been done for hooning around the forests. As much as i enjoy it i have to agree with banning bikes from most of the fields/forests as there are people walking their dogs etc and they just arn't compatible.
I agree with bikes spoiling the natural walkways, it's the same with mountain biking.. I wouldn't ride around all the national trust bits around us, but no problem going to dedicated mountain bike trails like those in Swinley

Wanted to know of any designated places for motorbikes to go off roading and anyone's experience of them.. I've heard there's places around box hill
Old 10-03-08, 11:13 AM   #6
Sosha

I went here:

http://www.trailworld.co.uk/trailtou...ntiestour.html
Old 10-03-08, 11:28 AM   #7
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flibble View Post
I agree with bikes spoiling the natural walkways, it's the same with mountain biking.. I wouldn't ride around all the national trust bits around us, but no problem going to dedicated mountain bike trails like those in Swinley

Wanted to know of any designated places for motorbikes to go off roading and anyone's experience of them.. I've heard there's places around box hill
I went out with Surrey Trail Riders Fellowship yesterday. Lots of lanes around the Surrey Hills - all Byways - or BOATS as they are called. Plenty of walkers on them as well as horses - and 4x4s.
Old 10-03-08, 02:44 PM   #8
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
That looks like a chuckle - I could be up for it if there are a few people.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-08, 02:46 PM   #9
philbut

i'd be up for it. I do have a bike but it's not road legal so probably no good for green laneing. Did loads of MX as a kid so hopefully would remember how to handle a bike on mud.
Old 10-03-08, 02:56 PM   #10
Sosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbut View Post
Did loads of MX as a kid so hopefully would remember how to handle a bike on mud.
Did no motocross as a kid, Never ventured offroad (unless you count the time I mistook a field for a layby) & tried to set the record for number of times it's possible to fall off in a day