SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-08, 10:35 AM   #1
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Safety Cameras..... Safety my A?$e

Was watching the BBC Breakfast program this morning and they had an item on Safety cameras.

They were out at a Mobile Detector Van, and they explained how it worked and everything - it was a laser based system.

They then cut to some footage of vehicles travelling at excessive speed - one was a biker doing 137Mph.

However there were a couple of clips of vehicles seeing the van (this was commented on the sound track), braking too hard and spinning out.

So by their own admission, the presence of the van CAUSED those accidents.

So how is this safe?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-08, 10:42 AM   #2
Frank

Default Re: Safety Cameras..... Safety my A?$e

done it myself mate.Involuntary stab at the brakes and then 5 mins worrying about it "did they get me,did they not etc"
Old 21-04-08, 10:51 AM   #3
Ceri JC

Yep. Emergency stopping type braking always carries some inherent risk- the possibility of a car behind you rear ending you, you losing control and skidding etc. Anything that makes people emergency stop is a very bad idea. Speed cameras unfortunately cause people to brake hard. I'd imagine police officers would be more inclined to book someone who braked dangerously hard when they saw them, rather than someone who took another 3-4 seconds and slowed down in a more controlled manner, rather than the opposite situation we have with cameras.

EDIT: As an aside, I nearly lost control of my bike braking very hard in the wet for a camera that was obscured behind vegitation till I was right up on it. There was no danger in the speed I had been going and I could of stopped in the distance I could see to be clear as the road was visible for a fair way after the (faded) dragons teeth.
Old 21-04-08, 10:54 AM   #4
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Yep. Emergency stopping type braking always carries some inherent risk- the possibility of a car behind you rear ending you, you losing control and skidding etc. Anything that makes people emergency stop is a very bad idea. Speed cameras unfortunately cause people to brake hard. I'd imagine police officers would be more inclined to book someone who braked dangerously hard when they saw them, rather than someone who took another 3-4 seconds and slowed down in a more controlled manner, rather than the opposite situation we have with cameras.

EDIT: As an aside, I nearly lost control of my bike braking very hard in the wet for a camera that was obscured behind vegitation till I was right up on it. There was no danger in the speed I had been going and I could of stopped in the distance I could see to be clear as the road was visible for a fair way after the (faded) dragons teeth.
The made comment on how there was the camera that recorded the speed, the one on the side that recorded you passing and then the one on the front that got your rear number plate - so I dont think there is any need for "officers" discression - they just send as many out in the post as they can process in 2 weeks.....

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-08, 11:29 AM   #5
ThEGr33k

Just a money making exercise lets face it.
Old 21-04-08, 11:47 AM   #6
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
The made comment on how there was the camera that recorded the speed, the one on the side that recorded you passing and then the one on the front that got your rear number plate - so I dont think there is any need for "officers" discression - they just send as many out in the post as they can process in 2 weeks.....
Yeah, sounds like a cash machine to me!
Old 21-04-08, 01:08 PM   #7
MiniMatt

Yeah, saw this as well. Was quite interesting how they were apparently concentrating on "dangerous driving", mentioned off the cuff that speed was only a factor in a third of serious accidents and then went back to wittering on about speeding drivers/riders. Lets forget about the two thirds caused by muppets driving with their eyes closed, half an inch off the backside of the guy in front, chuffing down quarter pounders whilst programming the sat-nav and talking on their phone.

So wheras the concentration was apparently on "dangerous driving" over here we weren't actually doing anything of the sort.
Old 21-04-08, 01:36 PM   #8
G
Mega Poster

To be fair whether I'm speeding or not I instinctively brake, its like i have no control of myself, i feel the need to brake.

I often brake when I see a mobile trap and look down and I'm well within the limit.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-08, 02:22 PM   #9
Dicky Ticker

Since my escapade last year I genuinely wonder if it is worth having a 150mph bike any more as by the law of averages you are going to get nicked sooner or later. OK it only goes as fast as you make it go but it is so so easy to drift above the speed limits when the max legal speed limit is probably less than half revs in top gear

Sorry but this is sore point with me regarding the flaunting of the law/judges rules/home office rules and ACPO guide lines,not to mention Crown Prosecution Service

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 21-04-08 at 02:35 PM.
Old 21-04-08, 02:38 PM   #10
Mogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
..So by their own admission, the presence of the van CAUSED those accidents...
This will then fuel the arguement to have mobile camera systems placed as covertly as possible.